Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:09 pm 
I am totally into close up photography. The closest I could get with my wide angle was not close enough to get the photo I wanted. I am now looking into true 1:1 macros.

The first macro I have looked at was the canon 100mm macro. But knowing that some day I may move up to a full frame camera, the 100mm might be too wide for the macros I want to take. The sigma 150 macro seemed to be just right when I researched a little. Then I noticed that the Tamron 180 macro was $50 more and has 30mm more than the sigma.

The distance when it comes to a macro is pretty important (I'd like to get into close up bug-on-a-flower pictures).

Which of the cameras is most recommended when it comes to quality and zoom distance?

If anyone has either of these lenses, I would love to hear how you like your lens.

Thank you

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:41 pm 

Hi Vivian again!

I love macro too and have a 100mm on my D80. It's a fantastic lens (and can also be used on FF-bodies) but some butterflies don't let you come close enough for 1:1 (=31cm from sensor to butterfly, = 15cm from front-lens :shock: ).
So if your object of desire is a little shy you should go for a 200mm that should give you (theoretically) 80cm from the sensor and 40cm from the front-lens for 1:1.
There is the Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 SP Di LD [IF] macro going to 1:1 at 25cm working-distance. See test here.
The test for the Canon 180mm macro is there
Both lenses seem to be very good but have one serious problem: No anti-shake. I love my 100mm Nikon because I seldom shoot with tripod - the VR is invaluable in the field as large magnification also means a heavy shake :(

The Sigma 150mm has a focus distance of 46cm. I suspect that leaves not much more than 23cm working distance. Tested here. And also no OS...

But if you're content with 1:3 then you should end up with at least 0.5-0.6m working distance.

B.t.w.: That the working distance of the lenses is less than the theoretic one (=2x focal-lenght @ 1:1) is a clear sign that the focal lenght of these macros does not stay constant when going macro. I assume e.g. that the real optical focal length of the 180mm lenses is more like 130mm @ 1:1. Funny effect, but has to do with internal focussing.

In my favorite price-search the Tamron registers at 630EUR, the Sigma at 700EUR and the Canon at 1400EUR. I think the Tamron is a clearwinner here :D (although as a Nikon-fanboy I dare say my excellent 105mm is "only" 700EUR including VR(!) :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:03 pm 
I think the Tamron is the winner for me.

The part about the 180 actually being 130 confused be a bit, but my logic says that is still better than the canon 100 macro, and the canon 180 macro is way out of my price range.

I am planning to use a monopod with a ball head when it comes to better anti-shake scenarios with the tele-macro lens.

Being totally of the topic… I do not have a good tripod/ball head set up yet, what do you (or anyone else out there) recommend in terms of brand, types, and sizes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:34 am 

See my signature. Not a ball-head but still excellent - and very stable!
More info here: http://www.manfrotto.com/jsp/index.jsp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:22 pm 
Can't seem to find your particular version. How much was yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:01 am 

around 220EUR. 120 the tripod and the rest for the head.
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/of ... 68&child=2

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/man ... |81&idx=82

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm 
Now does legs split on that version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:41 pm 

dancestrokes wrote:
Now does legs split on that version?

Please help, don't understand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:29 pm 
I have seen tripod legs that spread out to almost flat, so you can get your camera close to the ground

*oh and sorry, I was very tired that day, so my grammar was terrible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:20 pm 

The manfrotto 055pro spreads its legs so far that the center-joint is only 20cm above ground. Plus you can take the center column out and put it back in horizontally (!).
So you'll have no probs sticking your lens into the ground :D

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 pm 
That is a great tripod!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:07 pm 

Yeah! You can also put the center column back in reverse (head hanging down) :!: :idea: :shock: