Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

When you first register on the Cameralabs forum, you'll be asked to work out a question which will change every so often to help reduce spammers. It should be easy for non-spammers to answer though!

After completing the registration form, you'll be sent an email to confirm / verify your account. This email is sent using the address "contact at cameralabs.com".

If you don't receive this email, first check your junk mail folder, as sometimes it's mistakenly filtered-out. I have found Hotmail and Comcast accounts often don't appear to receive the message.

If you still haven't received the email after a few hours, please email me at "contact at cameralabs.com" (replacing 'at' with the @ symbol) and I'll do our best to fix the problem and get you on-board!

Looking forward to welcoming you to the Cameralabs forums soon,

Gordon Laing, Editor
http://www.cameralabs.com

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 pm 
I am not sure what happened to my mail system, but a new message popped up then promptly disappeared. I assumed it was the registry confirmation that you sent me as I had just registered. (I was wrong as I got that about 30 minutes later.) In the meantime, I tried to get a message to your administrator to say that I had lost the confirmation and could it be resent. But your system would not let me get on as I had the same e-mail address. Fortunately, I have another, and after many attempts to change details, I got through as a another account with another e-mail address that I do not want to use. The point is, if I am not registered, I cannot contact the administrator as you suggest I do if I have problems with registering. And I cannot get into the forums. Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi oursoulsDad, glad you made it on in the end - welcome!

I apologise it can be a bit of a challenge to get registered, but it's to prevent or minimise spam. Believe it or not, before implementing these changes a year or two ago, we were getting about 50 spam signups a day and it was a full time job just removing them - and we're now over five times bigger.

There is a contact email on the About Us page though...

Post subject: Gmail accounts
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:17 pm 
I understand the "spammers" thing... But my primary email has chenged to a gmail account.
Since I get this message "Sorry, but this e-mail address has been banned. Note gmail accounts are temporarily banned. Please use a different email account." My assumptions are that the issue is still- an issue..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, if we unblock gmail or yahoo, we normally get about 100 spam registrations a day, which is a full-time job in itself just to remove. After blocking them, we only get a few spammers a week - at the moment.

It's really annoying to block such large and popular domains, but Cameralabs is a very small operation and just doesn't have the resources to spend all day removing spammers!

Post subject: Gmail
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 am 
I understand... I will use my work email...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:59 pm 

can you make it to register with some random email, and then able system to switch to gmail - for example with admin approval? I dont have any other serious email acc and its not a good thing to have such an important value set on some random mail provider.

Canon AT-1, 50mm FD F1.8
Canon A430,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

If you PM me with your gmail address, I could see if I could change it for you. I don't know if it will work though.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:53 am 

Since its been a while since I used to frequent these boards I thought I'd bring my account up to date only to discover that gmail accounts are not allowed. This is bizarre. I have no other accounts, nor do I intend setting any up.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:39 am 

Hi zorro,

Hopefully this will be resolved once we have upgraded the registration front end of the phpBB3 software that powers the forum to more effectively weed out the automated bots that try to fill the forum with spam. I'm with you in my desire to see gmail allowed once more - on the other hand I spend more of my (freely donated) forum time deleting spam than I'd like so a significant increase would be most unwelcome. :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:00 pm 

Fair point Bob and duly noted. What needs to be done?

Sorrow.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 am 

Hi zorro,

My understanding is that we need to find a phpBB3 MOD which defeats the bots' automated registration routines but which doesn't break the forum or make registration so tedious that folk give up halfway through. I have no responsibility or expertise when it comes to such low level tinkering with the forum software but I do know that a solution is still being sought. Sorry not to have any more positive news to share. :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I have implemented a new anti-spam question during registration which should hopefully reduce the spam here.

It has also allowed me to unblock gmail and yahoo accounts, so feel free to sign up to change to these if desired.

As always though, if you see spam on the forum, please flag it for our attention and one of the mods or I will get onto it!

Gordon