Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've just published our full review of the Pentax K20D here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pentax_K20D/

Please post any comments about this review in this thread - thanks!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:45 am 
Great review once again Gordon. That 14mp sensor is impressive! Not bad for Samsung's first. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:48 am 
Oh boy, another review!

Going to check it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys - I think our outdoor noise results page is very revealing:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Penta ... oise.shtml

The K20D performs very, very well here.

Just a shame the Live View felt bolted on to tick a box at the marketing department...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:59 am 
That live view did take a very long time to AF. I was thinking my video was lagging. I mean if your going to throw in such a setting on the camera at least make it some what decent or dont have it at all! Plus no live histogram + shooting details.

Not to bring the camera down but looking at facts/specs the 40D seems to be a better bang for the buck, better live view-6fps...

But apart from that it looks like a good camera, how was the weight of it Gordon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, it's 715g ex battery - feels very similar weight wise to the 40D, which at the same price is probably its closest rival. I've compared their features on the verdict page.

As for LV, don't put too much weight on the AF speed in the video as it was with the 18-250mm, fully zoomed-in on a close subject. I'm sure an SDM lens would have been much quicker.

BUT the lack of exposure details, live histogram, and the inability to change the exposure or use the manual focus assistance make it pretty useless in my view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:45 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:

BUT the lack of exposure details, live histogram, and the inability to change the exposure or use the manual focus assistance make it pretty useless in my view.

Yeah that the main reason you want live view for starters!

I m not looking to get another camera right now, and i have gone the Nikon way, but its interesting to keep up what the other cameras have to offer :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:01 pm 
hi gordon,

good review. reinforces my own impression as an owner, will happily remove live view in exchange for $200 off the price. the strength of in body shake reduction i think really has to be seen in the context of how the lens based options compare, not only in stops offered, but also in cost. i have "shaky" hands, and had the opportunity to choose between a canon 40D and the k20, but the cost of canon (or nikon) fast lenses with stabilization was what drove me away from those brands towards pentax. as you have mentioned, the purchase is tailored to one's needs.

any reason you chose the 18-250, instead of a star or the 16-45 lens?

alfredo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:04 pm 
Hmmmm thought provoking review!! Fantastic as always Gordon! :P

Seems to be a very powerful camera, albeit with some disappointing omissions/drawbacks. Not enough to make me think of buying it unfortunately!!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 pm 
:D I've just watched the video review because it wouldn't start earlier.

Recording yourself through the live-view is a nice touch Gordon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:18 pm 
Excellent review Gordon and thank you very much.
The low noise results are incredible, truly impressive. I am not on the live view bandwagon yet, but comparing this to your other videos of say the E3, or the A350, the K20D did seem a bit clunky. Like the 10D, I like how there are dedicated external buttons so there is no need too delve into the menu system to quickly change things. Looks like a fun camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm 

Bonsoir Gordon,

Thank you very much for the very detailed and interesting review of the K20D :)

I fully agree with your conclusion: whilst the K10D brought unrivaled value (with both unexpected features and a very agressive price), the K20D fails short due to its price point position. However, the price could change and be on par with the features.

An interesting point to watch carefully is the update of the firmware. I remember that, for the K10D, the Fn + front dial for ISO setting came later. So, for the K20D, we may expect improved hardware buttons ergonomics or functions, like better live-view.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the opportunity to review the K20D and write a Pentax K20D User Review, as I did for the Pentax K10D :(

As for me, I plan to continue with my K10D and may reconsider my position somewhere in 2010, when the K30D is going to be launched :)

Stay tuned :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:26 pm 

Pentax still has a good selection of 35mm film camera lenses. Do you think they'll ever produce a "K3D"* full-frame DSLR? Their roadmap (PDF file) doesn't promise any more "D FA" lenses but I'm not sure whether that's because there are already enough, together with the "FA" lenses or whether they have decided to abandon the full-frame market to Canon, Nikon and Sony. They still do Medium Format, though. :?

Bob.

* K2D has already been used, I believe

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:15 pm 

Bonjour Bob,

Actually, I wasn't dreaming about a possible full-frame camera, but just trying to figure out the name of the possible K20D successor. Since K20D = K10D + 10, so I guessed K30D = K20D + 10 :)

Now, full-frame camera makes sense for professionnal photographers, but I'm not a professionnal :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:19 pm 

Hi rei_vilo,

Actually, I wasn't thinking of you when I asked the question but, go on, you know you'd like one. :) I'm just interested to know whether Pentax may return to full-frame goodness, in DSLR form this time, given it's investment in lenses. If the market is moving that way they seem well placed but I guess the only people who know won't tell. :x

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.