Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:27 am 
I usually use a tripod, or try to use one as much as possible for landscape shots. I don't have a good one like a Manfrotto or anything, just a Chinese brand which does a good job in the landscape position, but kinda sucks when I want to take portrait orientated ones.

I noticed an ad for L-Brackets and I've never heard of them before and didn't realise there was such a thing so I wondered if anyone here has any experience with them and how useful they are.

Recommended purchase or should I buy a decent tripod?

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:10 am 

Hi Mark,

Like you I have yet to purchase an L-bracket. It's on the wish-list but with my current set-up it seems to me that the only thing I gain is use of the top panning head when and if I want to use the camera in the vertical orientation. If your current head accepts Arca-Swiss compatible plates then have a look at the Kirk Photo offerings for Nikon cameras. Based on the fit of their camera plate on my 40D I would have no hesitation in buying one but be warned before you follow the link and have a glass of something fortifying to hand when you look at the prices. :shock:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:22 am 
Hi Bob,
Thanks for all the links in your message, that's really helpful. Your review of your tripod and ball-head is excellent and exactly the same kind of specs as what I'm after.

Wow those L-brackets are pricey!! Still tempting though and it would fit into the quick release on the top of my tripod. Think I'd be more inclined to try more vertical landscapes if I had that too.

I think if it came to a toss up between a new tripod and an L-bracket then I'd go for the L-bracket because it would give me more options for taking pics. My Chinese tripod is a bit of a cheap affair, but it does the job with MUP and cable release. I'll have to try and find some prices for the brackets in HK, they've got to be cheaper if they run in line with everything else photographic.

My wish list is getting way out of control! I want a new tripod, the L-bracket, a new bag, an infra-red remote, Lee filters, a macro lens and a longer telephoto...it's never-ending!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:00 pm 

ChinaMark wrote:
...My wish list is getting way out of control! I want a new tripod, the L-bracket, a new bag, an infra-red remote, Lee filters, a macro lens and a longer telephoto...it's never-ending!!

What, no Tilt & Shift lens for extreme DoF control on those landscapes? :P

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:47 pm 
mmmm....now that's an idea :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:57 pm 
ChinaMark wrote:
My wish list is getting way out of control! I want a new tripod, the L-bracket, a new bag, an infra-red remote, Lee filters, a macro lens and a longer telephoto...it's never-ending!!

Welcome to the club! It's just as well camera gear is expensive or we might all need warehouses to store our lenses. 8)

Don't most tripods allow you to tilt the camera 90 degrees? I know my crappy tripod can, it doesn't hold the camera very still but then again it doesn't hold the camera still in any position. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Welcome to the club! It's just as well camera gear is expensive or we might all need warehouses to store our lenses. 8)

Very true!!

grahamnp wrote:
Don't most tripods allow you to tilt the camera 90 degrees? I know my crappy tripod can, it doesn't hold the camera very still but then again it doesn't hold the camera still in any position. :?

Yeah I think they're supposed to, but I guess mine is half crappy :) It's great in the horizontal position, but vertical...forget it! To get mine to 90 degrees I have to tilt it into it's vertical position of 75-80 degrees and then fiddle about lowering the legs on the opposite side to bring it to roughly 90 degrees....not much fun!

That's why I'm so taken with the L-bracket...it looks so simple and effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:00 am 
Same problem with mine then!