Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:23 pm 
I finally went to this spot i wanted to take a picture of the famous Öresunds Bridge to take a shot!

While i wanted to go when the sun was setting i wasn't given this opportunity but i decided to go anyways to check out the spot, how it is for photographing and its a really sweet spot if you like landscaping/architectural landscaping!

Well so what does one do when in a moment like that? Well i snap away, and then use the powerful tools that photoshop has provided me with and turn the image into what i like to call a perfect sunset!

My mom saw the before and after and she though was a beatiful shot and an image that she wouldn't expect it to be photoshoped.

I guess i pulled it of for once!

If you want to see the before then i could post that one as well :P but its not as good

Last edited by alex168 on Tue May 13, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 pm 
It's a really nicely composed shot to my eye mate, although I am not sure there is enough red / orange in the water to really pull off the natural sunset look. I do like what you have done with the sky though, would love to see a larger version of it... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:42 pm 
As big as i have "originally" uploaded it!

well to back up the reason, the water over here there is about 60m depend and pitch black it doesn't really reflect that much:)

larger image is avaliable for you to check it

EDIT:

Here is a different photo, but it gives you and idea of how it looked before hand ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:32 pm 
I love how the bridge occupies the picture, very imposing at first and than becomes a silhouette in the far right. Beautiful curves!

Quentin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
Hey Q,

Yeah the place i decided to photograph this from is just superb! Shows of those really nice curves.

Thanks alot, its like a snake that is very visible at first and then just blurs out, could be the f/16 kicking in :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 am 
Great shot Alex! I think both versions are nice but the sunset one is more dramatic and better for that reason.

Nice to see the dust spots gone. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:08 am 
i like the feeling the 2nd one gives me...all cold and lonely...

the first one...well it's a beautiful shot but i dont think it's as powerful as the 2nd one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 pm 
i had to pick my jaw off the floor and throw my shirt in the dryer cause i drooled all over it.. beautiful shot here alex.. i say go back again and get a real sunset just to say that there isnt post processing.. you know??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:33 pm 
Hi alex168,

that's a great composition and really good shot you pulled off there.

In it's less processed form, it's a great image in and of itself. As is often is the case with really good images out of the box, post processing often has to be delicate to not actually detract from the image itself, if you know what I mean.

At first - in your processed version - there is that immediate WOW-factor with the color and the sheer magnificence of the vista itself. Your eye is pulled towards the distant horizon and you just want to be on that bridge..lol.

However, a second look and you are challenged a bit in your "suspension of disbelief" as you notice the haloing over the railing on the left side of the image. Seeing that you start discovering a little bit of a "too much" feeling when you look at the slightly too purplish water.

My intent is not to be a nag-bag here. I love post-processing and think that the distinction between in-camera and post-processing is completely artificial in a digital world. However, that is an utterly separate issue from the experience through your eyes and your brain.

At first your are captured by the illusion that this really is real - until you spot the indicators of over-processing.

As a photographic artist you are then faced with a choice:
- Perfect the post-processing so there is no overt clues that this is fake and achieve "suspension of disbelief" or
- Make a virtue of it and post process it so obviously that the viewer can appreciate it as it stands. I.e. knowing that the impression is partly achieved through post-processing, but not giving a damn because it doesn't pretend to be "real".

I hope it makes sense...lol..what I'm trying to convey.

Regardless, it's a really good picture and very close to being a great picture. Most importantly, it's very enjoyable to view.

Now get in touch with Noceo or one of the other Danes in these forums and have them do a similar shot from the Danish side of the bridge, so we can have a discussion about which side is better..lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:54 pm 

good one Alex...I like the second more "natural" bridge shot...the repeating patterns, hypnotize your eye, and draw it all around...the swoop of the bridge, almost looks like it was dropped out of the sky...

I bet ya Noceo is gonna go take the Danish side...how neat would that be?

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 am 
Very nice Alex! Under-processed, over-processed, out-of-camera, out-of-photoshop...who cares...it's a beautiful interpretation of a great scene...well done :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:35 am 
Hey Lah, call me Alex please! :)

Thats interesting that you mention it because i was going for the "natural" look here, and if it looks over post process to you then it means that i failed to a certain extent. I m not a professionals photoshop guy, far from it but i like to push myself and see how i can do and see the results and then have some judge them! I do understand what your saying, and then i might just need to go back and shoot this in real life and see how that turns out (looks to me as if its going to be 2 exposures at least to get the detail in the bridge)

Its always interesting to see the reactions you get once you post the "before" photo so to speak.

The danish side isnt as good as looking from the Swedish side, they have a tunnel at the end and you cant really see anything that is elevated from the water level!

Emp, i think its funny that you say so man, thanks alot

Patti, Yeah the "silhouette" of the bridge really pulls you over from the left to the far hand side.

Mark, yeah its all about having fun isnt it :)