Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1st DSLR help
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:11 pm 

Hi all!. I'm looking at getting my first dslr (please feel free to yawn). I'm someone who's found himself taking more and more photos on my little p+s camera wherever i go - usually on holiday and for sporting events. However, after my last holiday and then coming back and seeing my photos taken at wimbledon it struck me that my current sony simply doesnt cut it as i get more creative and demanding.
Ideally i'm looking for an entry-level camera that i can learn with, takes very good images and is a good all-rounder (sports, landscape, portrait, macro). I'm not asking for much eh?

I've kind of narrowed it down to the Canon 400d and the nikon d40x (although i remain open-minded) as they seem to get the best/most consistant reviews and are from the 2 main brands.
However i'm thinking ahead, particularly about lenses: which brand/camera has the most/best/cheapest options. I'm unsure of what's compatible with what. Also if i ever decide to upgrade, do the lenses that i buy still work on any camera from the same make?

I guess i'm asking people with experience for recommendations on a camera(s) that is not going to leave me feeling 'i wish it did that' or 'Damn! I had no idea lenses for this camera were so expensive.'

Ideas for a great 'overall camera' at the entry-level would be most appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:45 pm 

Hello richpit10, and welcome to the CameraLabs forum!

So you've already done some research? This is a better start then some of the other newbies here :wink:
Your focus is on lenses? Cheers to that too!
Now be warned: If you go with the Nikon D40/x which is a very good camera indeed, you may occasionally not be able to autofocus with a lens that works normal on any other current Nikon body, because they left out the focus-motor in the D40/x-body :shock:
I myself own a lens that would not work on a D40/x: the 10.5mm fisheye and also many of the cheaper third-party lenses e.g. from Sigma don't autofocus with the D40/x either. See the thread here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=749

As to the options for lenses that work on Canon- and Nikon-bodies there is no easy answer.
First of all you need to know that the third-party lens manufacturers like Sigma, Tamron and Tokina make their lenses with both Nikon- and Canon-mounts. So that's a draw.
Secondly: There are some good lenses in the Nikon portfolio, like the famous 18-200mm VR which is the best in class, but on the other hand Canon has some lenses, that Nikon cannot match, like the 10-22mm.

So you should carefully think about what lens(es) you'd like to have. This may already make the decision, unless you're aiming at the third-party lenses. Beware though that most of them (third-party lenses) don't have lens-based IS, which is a must have, since neither Nikon- nor Canon-bodies do have camera-based-IS :cry:
And - as the saying goes - you get what you pay for: So normally the third-party lenses have less optical/built-quality than the Nikons and Canons...

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:10 pm 

Id say Rebel XTi / 400D !

Plus, if you get EF lenses, it will work once you update to a 5,000$ camera body (full frame), which is fantastic, and Canon has L lenses, which are the best quality you can get. So if you buy EF lenses your money is not wasted because it will fits later full frame body !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:23 am 

Thanks for the reponses guys. Anyone else? Please...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:13 pm 

You still not decided on the (type of) lenses you'd like to own in the long run, richpit10?
How much budget?
We need to know, otherwise we can only guess :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:18 pm 

I am a DSLR beginner/amateur who just purchased a D40x w/ the 18-55mm kit lens and I'm very happy with it. I too "agonized" over which Nikon DX AF-S lens to get, the 18-55, 18-70, 18-135, or the highly rated 18-200VR. The 18-55/55-200 two lens combo kit looked intriguing until I learned that the 55-200 was not a VR (anti-shake) lens.

I decided to just get it over with and get the 18-55mm and start taking pictures and I'm glad I did. Maybe someday down the road I will get an 18-135 lens, but for now I have no regrets with my purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:06 am 

abunc wrote:
I am a DSLR beginner/amateur who just purchased a D40x w/ the 18-55mm kit lens and I'm very happy with it.

Congrats on your purchase!

abunc wrote:
The 18-55/55-200 two lens combo kit looked intriguing until I learned that the 55-200 was not a VR (anti-shake) lens.

Good catch! I guess they still have a lot of old 55-200 lenses and want to get rid of them this way. You can buy the new 55-200 VR later on if you want to get a little more reach...

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:24 am 

Darrin

how do you like your SB400?

I guess you can angle the flash up to get the ceiling flash?

Are there any (compatible to the D40/40x)Nikon flashes that can act as a slave and be set up in the corner of a room and be triggered remotely by the D40/40X?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:48 pm 

Yeah, the SB-400 can bounce, but it can be no slave. the SB-600/800 can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:35 am 

abunc wrote:
Darrin
how do you like your SB400?
I guess you can angle the flash up to get the ceiling flash?
Are there any (compatible to the D40/40x)Nikon flashes that can act as a slave and be set up in the corner of a room and be triggered remotely by the D40/40X?

I have only used the SB-400 twice since I got it - took some pictures indoors with bounce on the ceiling and was really happy with the results... still have a lot to learn about it (and about the Nikon flash system in general), that's why I have not yet posted a user review :oops:
It can tilt in only one way so it is not that useful with the camera in portrait mode... Its features are good enough for my needs and being so small was a plus. If you want to get more serious about flash photography I would suggest a SB-600.

Darrin