Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kazan Cathedral
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:12 pm 

I took this shot the first day I got my D80 and the 35mm lens. I'm impressed by the IQ of this lens, since the shot was handheld at night. In reality it was darker, but it just goes to show how fast this lens is.

Kazan Cathedral, St Petersburg, Russia.

EXIF: 1/10sec @ f/2, ISO 400.

EDIT: Fixed the broken link for photo.

Last edited by thomasrichards on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:30 pm 

hi thomas

Love the colour of they sky there and the halo around the street-lamps!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michdung/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:45 am 

Hi Mich,

Glad you like it. I had the camera on full auto, though I prefer manual mostly, but it was my first day with a DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am 
thomasrichards wrote:
Hi Mich,

Glad you like it. I had the camera on full auto, though I prefer manual mostly, but it was my first day with a DSLR.

I think this is a nice shot! Very Russian :P

How is St Petersburg as a city? i always been curious about going there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 am 

Well Alex, there is alot to see here.

Iv'e been here since October 2006, and I still find new things whenever I go looking for subjects to photograph. There are alot of canals in this city, and over 300 bridges, and many islands.

It's an architect's dream city to visit and would say just about the same for a photographer, a lot of variation in architecture. You should visit someday while it's still easy, they're getting very tough on all visas. If you don't feel like taking a plane (which would be pricey to here) you could take Viking Line from Stockholm to Helsinki, then catch a Bus from Helsinki (in front of Kampii) to St Petersburg. The Russian buses (not the small ones) cost about 15 Euros, and if you register to be a member with Viking Lines, you get huge discounts on their ferries (2 weeks ago we went on their ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn for free - it was a promotion).

This month they will be showing movies on the bridges once they are raised. This is also a funny thing, when they raise the bridges (as they do every night when there is no ice in the Neva) you are stuck on that island till about 06:30, not always fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:32 am 
i love this picture...however i do think that you should edited that flag out the top right...seems a bit distractive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:49 am 

Thanks palakaboy.

I know, that street sign is annoying. But I don't like that sort of editing. It pushes me to go retake that particular shot with a slightly different angle or position. The more I do this, the more aware I become of what is included in the frame that should not be there.

Hopefully it will become a sub-concious procedure one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:16 am 
thomasrichards wrote:
Thanks palakaboy.

I know, that street sign is annoying. But I don't like that sort of editing. It pushes me to go retake that particular shot with a slightly different angle or position. The more I do this, the more aware I become of what is included in the frame that should not be there.

you're probably right...too bad gas prices have increased way too much for me to retake certain shots....hehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:17 am 
thomasrichards wrote:
The more I do this, the more aware I become of what is included in the frame that should not be there.

That is so true! I still take pics and then look at them afterwards and think, why didn't I just move it left, right or up or down a bit. I think sometimes when you're looking through the viewfinder with one eye, your brain doesn't take in everything that's there because you're so used to seeing everything with both eyes. I am more conscious of that now and take a bit of extra time to scan from corner to corner to see what exactly is going to end up on the image, but it is tiring on the one eye!....and usually too bright to use liveview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 pm 

Hi Mark,

I have a solution for that... well a quirky one, but one none the least.

I sometimes look through the viewfinder with my left eye instead of my right, no matter if the camera is horizontal or vertical. This was mentioned by someone, but cannot remember who. He says that there will sometimes be situations when it's just too inconvenient to look through the viewfinder with your usual eye.

Don't know if this has ever been the case with anyone, but I just do it to train both my eyes equally well... just incase :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 pm 
WOW.. that lens is quick.. that dark and you still pulled off 1/10 shutter speed with only 400 iso!!! :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:17 am 
Thanks for the tip Thomas, I'll have a go at training my left eye :)