Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:24 am 

Hi All,

I have a question (as many) :)

Last weekend I have bought an Sony H9 after reading lots of reviews. I was going to be a Panasonic FZ50 or the Sony.

I choose the Sony because of the Zoom range and the advantage sports mode. As sony says "freez the moment"

Now I have bin testing this camera for a week and if im not satisfied I can take the camera back tomorrow.

Im very satisfied over the zoom but not over the Sports. I've tried to make good pictures of Judo and Taekwondo but in the sportsmode every picture is not sharp and very bad, if I use the burstbutton it doesn't get any better, it won't freeze the moment:(. In the S mode i can get a (bit dark) sharp picture but then I cant point and shoot. Also in the S mode I have to use the flash and it takes a lot of time befor I can take another picture. And when the flash is used on the most pictures ar very irritating visible dust marks.

I like to know if this is normal or a problem with this camera or that it is a defect of the camera I have.

If this is a normal problem I will keep this camera because I think that the Panasonic wouldn't do better in the Sports section. But if it can be a defect in this one I will take it back and I will purchase a new one.

I really love to hear your opinion because you have experience with these camera's.

Greetings
Audrey :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:31 am 

Hello Audrey, and welcome to the CameraLabs forum!

That sounds very bad, esp. dust marks with a new camera!?
Could you post some of the pics on flickr (or somewhere else) and link to them so that we get a better impression of what you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:55 am 

Hi Thomas,

Im glad to be here :D when I visited this website the first time a few weeks ago I immediately forgot about the other reviewsites.

I have put 2 foto's on my hyves. this is the only link I can make. Cause i am at work I have only these two pictures but at home I have lots more.

This is the link:
http://au3wen.hyves.nl/

The 2 pictures are standing under: Foto's & Video's

Great that you will take a look!

At the dark picture you will see the dust markt wich appears when using the flash (this isn't even the worst picture with marks). And the other one is taken in the sports mode.

I realy have 300 pictures made from the judo and not one of them is good. I have taken about 350 pictures of a Taekwondo training and a few of them are good but then taken in the S mode. Sportsmode and burstbutton are terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:18 pm 

Well Audrey, here's my 2cents on your pics:
1. dark one with flash
When using the flash, the cam obviously set the shutter to 1/60 sec. This in turn reduced the capture of the ambient light in the hall. But you were too far away from the Judoka for the tiny onboard-flash to reach them. The remedy: Get a little closer when you use the flash.
As to the "pock-marks": I'd say this is not dust in your camera but dirt on your lens. It shows up in this situation, because the flash reflected strongly from the overhead lights, thus illuminating the dirt specks on your lens. This can be seen very good on the dark background. Normally you don't see bright dust-marks on dark backgrounds but dark dust-marks on bright backgrounds :wink:
2. bright one with motion blur
To be honest, I think this is a pretty picture. The motion blur is a result from not using the flash and shooting indoors. So the available light made the camera expose with a shutter speed of say 1/60 sec not shorter. So if you want freeze-frame you need to up the ISO (say to 800) which allows the camera to use a shutter speed closer to 1/500 sec. But you will see some noise in the pictures coming up with high ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:34 pm 

Thanx for your quick advise :D

The dust marks are indeed not from dust in the camera but also not from a dirty lens. These are from dust flying around and picked up by the flash. I will put on some more fotographs tonight :)

I have a few good foto's of taekwondo (brighter) in the S mode. I will put these on also.

So if I understand it right then it is a problem to use sportsmode indoors. If I would take pictures of sports outsite then it shouldn't be a problem. Hmm i must try that.

If it is a general problem I think I hold on to the camera. Hope I may ask you more questions then so I can get my pictures better! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:38 pm 

The more light you have the better (sharper, less noise) the photos will get. Under low light conditions only the best DSLRs with big lenses produce good quality pictures!
But then your in a league that costs at least 3 times as much :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:04 pm 

but in the second picture you can see that the light is good indoors. Or does it means that even that there is enough light that indoors light for the camera is never enough? (maybe a stupid question but I have to ask :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:05 pm 

Sorry second picture don't let that see. Its the same light as at the office in most company's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:17 pm 

To the adapted eye it seems all quite and (well) bright! But there is normally a 3-5 stop difference between indoors and outdoors light, meaning you can shoot indoors at say 1/60 sec and outdoors at 1/250-1/1000 :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:35 pm 

Ok I understand :D

Thanx very much!! and I will keep this camera after hearing your comments!

I hope that when im going to Afrika (20th september) that I also can catch action pictures of the wild with this camera. but luckly I have time to practice on my cats :lol: (not that these 2 lazy cats bring any action :wink: )

I will be back with more picture questions!!

Gr. Audrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:07 pm 

Hoi, Audrey!

Oh Africa - I envy you!
Just another tipp:
Try upping the ISO to say 400 and take some sample shots of different subject. Have a look whether the noise in darker parts and/or low contrast areas bothers you. If not, use ISO 400 sensitivity as standard.

Doei!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:09 pm 

Hoi Thomas, :lol:

Made new pictures tonight while training. I have put a few at my hyves.
On these pictures you again can see the dust marks but now even better (and I really clean my lens :wink: ). The others are good I think but a little over lighted but that takes practice I think.

Would you take another look at this? see what you think about it (or others of course who read this :) )

http://au3wen.hyves.nl/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:55 pm 

Yeah, those pics look much better. But still you cannot avoid some motion blur (like in DSC00684.JPG). But imho this shows the fast paced dynamics of this sport much better than a freeze-frame pic :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:50 pm 

Hi Thomas,

Hows your weekend?? weather bit better this time :D

The weather was nice so I went outsite to try the sportmode. :(
I put the pictures on my hyves. As you can see all the pics are blurry. (except from the pictures where nobody moved, these are verry good i think :D )

I don't get it with the sportmode. I thought that it would do better outsite but it is exactly the same as inside. The shutter speed won't change, every picture has a shutterspeed of 1/60. If I use the burst butten it won't get better. When I change the modus to Landscape or Portret the shutterspeed wil go up to 1/250, why doesn't this change in the advanced sportmode? The pics that i've put on my hyves are the best of the 263 pics I took this afternoon. I can get the picture a bit better in the S-mode but than I have to use the flash again :(

What is it that I do wrong? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:33 pm 

Hoi Audrey!

That's a pity. I can see what frustrates you. And 1/60 sec is definitely to slow for action. Unfortunately I don't have access to the manual to find out what Sony says, but any sports-mode in the world goes after the shortest possible shutter speeds. And that should definitely be shorter than 1/60 sec under daylight outdoors.
1/60 sec reminds me of flash-synchronization. Perhaps the cam tried to use the flash. Did you notice the flash working? If so, you should definitely tell the cam to shut the flash off under these conditions and watch whether the shutter-speed goes up (i.e. shorter).
B.t.w.: running.JPG is very nice though. Again, the motion blur (esp. of the background and the moving feet) gives a feeling for the action!

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.