Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:54 pm 
HNV, sometimes I think maybe your comments could use a little thought before hitting the submit button mate :?

ChinaMark - Great pic and more so for this particular "On Assignment" than any previous ones, I think very fitting as there are so many ways one could interpret the brief. I have had a vaguely similar type image in my head since the brief was first mentioned but just have not had time to shoot it. I hope to do some work on it this coming week, whilst it is similar in concept the final image will be very different - I shall say no more hehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:13 pm 
Alba- that's so cool, you can see the JZA in her eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi SnS - could you link to a smaller image which meets the Assignment's 500 pixel wide guideline? Thanks!

PS - Ormina, I meant to say when you posted you photo that I really liked it - as you know it can be a real challenge to get the eyes in sharp focus when the depth of field is small. Any tips for us on photographing birds like that? Was it perched on someone's arm at the time or in the wild?

On a sidenote, I once attended an event where a large bird of prey would land on one of those special gloves and I was shocked at the weight and punch of these things when they land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:10 pm 
@ J.Z. great concept with your initials reflecting in your daughter's eye and also Ormina's reflection in Oscar's eyes!

@ Mark, thanks for your comments and can't wait to see your entry! There were quite a few variations going through my mind when I did it and one in particular that I want to try and set up some time....I wonder if we're thinking along the same lines.... :)

@ Patti, you have such a great way with words :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:32 am 
Apologies, I thought this size wouldn't break the page width. Been re-sized and it fits well now.

I like ChinaMark's and nitroshot's entry. If theres no better entry, either one of 'em are getting my vote :)

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:21 am 
I think mine's gonna go to Angelo because of the deep, pained expression he managed to capture at just the right moment on his grandfather's face. I wonder what he was thinking about :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:23 am 
thanks all for your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:32 am 
Ormina- Sorry, I didn't notice that you already have an eye reflection as your entry. Next time I have to check all entries before submitting mine. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:47 pm 
Some of these entries are of professional quality, great work everyone.

JZ Alba, please dont worry about entering the eye reflection, I think yours is beautiful and so clear.

Gordon, sadly I have no secret, just pot luck and the passion to get so very close to the bird, I could feel it's breath on my face :D the bird was sitting on a perch a few inches from me................so cool

It has been a worthy subject this month with some facinating interpretations of refelection. That is the part I like best, how everyone interpretes it.

Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:37 pm 
Thanks ChinaMark, Funny thing is i took that picture just while messing around with my camera on the bank holiday weekend, and it turned out to be a keeper.

I think with assignments it is quite hard to be unique. I thought everyone would have gone with the emotional reflection, but most have gone down the optical reflection road. Some great photos so far it's going to be a hard one to decide my vote. But originality will play high when it comes to deciding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:33 am 

holy cow...(but don't say that around zrmi, his good cow shot won him the On Assignment crown...once already!!) These photos are so wonderful...I try and check up here on this post everyday, and each time I do, I am just blown away by all of your talent...what a privlege to participate in these Assignments.
And I see the month is still young..and we are just getting it rollin' with this Reflections theme...look how many new faces there are..makes us all think a little harder about our compostions, and submissions...each month the bar is raised just a little higher...

lovin this...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:25 pm 

I'm still working on an entry for this month's On Assignment, but haven't succeeded yet. I do have an idea, it involves a male model with old hands wearing a suit, but I'm not sure whether I'll get this in on time. I'm going to do my best!

I had a great photo though for this theme. Sadly, I took it in March, so I won't be allowed to enter it. I'll just show it here. This ladybird took a rest on my mirror, so I could take this photo which shows both sides of the insect.

Camera Model: Sony DSLR-A700
Lens and focal length: Carl Zeiss 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 at 80mm
Aperture: F4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/10 sec. (using a tripod)
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Post processing: Cropped the image quite a bit (I wish I had a macrolens for these kind of shots), cloned away some of the dust on the mirror, some curves adjustments.

Now just wait for a real entry...
- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:29 pm 
Thats a really great photo Bjorn! Shame about it not being taken in May.

I think the dust looks great actually! This way you know its a reflection and not two bugs. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 pm 
Lol can i vote for Bjorn?? hahaha cool pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:41 pm 
That is excellent Bjorn and so perfect for the theme! I know what you mean about macro...we see quite a few close ups of bugs but very few close-ups of the underside of them!!

I agree with Graham too about the dust, it really adds to the image rather than detracts from it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next