Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:11 pm 

Hey, I'm not sure if I have this in the right place!

Anyways I'm new to this whole phorography thing! TZ5 was the first camera I bought for myself. Used others before but just for normal pictures. I've started experimenting with close up photos. Not working the best. I've tested trying setting the camera on the table (no movement then, no tripod yet) and placing an object in front of it. The thing that annoys me is that I push the button in half way so that it focuses, what happens is that it tries to focus, and I see that it gets a really good focus, then it goes out of focus and beeps and gives the red rectangle (basically saying it couldnt focus). I've tried moving back so that I get it in focus then holding the button in slighty then moving forward towards the object but I still get out of focus, not as much as if I refocussed. Any ideas? Tips etc.. ? I used the macro.

Cheers guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 pm 

The TZ3 (and presumably the newer TZ5) gives closest focus at the lowest zoom (less then 2X), where it will focus on something within 5cm of the camera. It also does a good job just under the far end of the zoom (9X), where the closest focus is less then 1m, but of course with significant magnification and better blurring of backgrounds.

At zoom ratios between those, however, the closest focus, even in 'macro', is much farther from the camera.

BTW, the EZ Zoom feature will give even greater magnification at the far end, while not giving up any close focus distance. And the image quality seems to be just fine in that mode (unlike using digital zoom).

When I want to take a closeup picture, I usually switch to EZ Zoom (3MP resolution) and just less then the maximum zoom (zoom all the way out, then back in one 'click'). The minimum focus distance on my camera is then about 70cm (28 inches) and the background is most likely to be nicely blurred.

Post subject: Macro
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:11 am 
One thing you might try that I saw some people do is put more light on the subject, which will probably improve the focus due to stopping the lens down and getting better DOF. Flashlights often work well with small subjects. Try different camera settings too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:29 pm 

Cheers guys. I'll give these methods a go!