Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:47 pm 
Here are a few samples of some photos I shot at a students parade, in Coimbra, Portugal. There's over 40 of them and I don't want to spam the forum.

The full set can be seen on this link.

DSC_2517:

DSC_2615:

DSC_2418:

DSC_2407:

Again, the full set can be seen on this link.

Please offer some constructive criticism. And go check the rest. :-)

Last edited by luis on Tue May 06, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 am 
Hi, technically the pictures turns out good.

But I feel that the pictures are too cropped/tele, so I can't see the whole story here.

I understand you are trying hard to get the students expressions
but many of them are not the best expression.

also try to play with the angle (wide-tele) and from up and down a lil bit
more. do squating, climbing to get great composition.

the picture that I like is DSC_2479
because you capture their expression, joy etc.

what lens and camera do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:31 pm 
Well, here is DSC_2479:

I used a D40 with an AF-S VR 18-200mm.

I was trying to get "portraits" more than anything else. The tele can be explained by a need to maintain a certain distance, to prevent beer drops on the lens (I'm sure you can understand this by looking at the above picture). ;-)

But yes, I could have tried for more varied angles. And maybe I could have carried one of those small ladders with two or three steps - lots of people on the way. And I really need to get a flash (SB-600?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:15 pm 
it will be helpful against the shadow/backlit :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:13 am 

I vote for the long haired howler...of course, that's a subspecies unto itself....but, it harkens back to the days of Jethro Tull, and that wild Ian....son of a flipper, I am dating myself now...

good captures, Luis...I got the drift, even close up and cropped, I like the portraiture style, and understand totally, about the projectile beer deal...way too much sloshing going on, and from aloft, =no good...foam is a difficult thing to deal with, under the best of circumstances...and hops and sugar, do not do a thing for the good zoom-ie parts of your lens. Will go check out your link after school tonight...

thanks for posting, looks like a good time was had by all. Howlers notwithstanding...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:14 am 
I vote for the last one that you posted on another post!

That one just shows how much fun they are having! I love the facial expression of that girl on the far right hand side it just priceless. Some really nice photos if you ask me, what was this parade for? Luis vc fez bem ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 pm 
As Alex has said, some very good photos with your own style of photography. However it lacks that storyboard that's associated with reportage photography which I think would give the photo album an extra kick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 pm 
The parade is held every year, to celebrate the nearing of their university graduation. Those on the trucks are two years away from graduation, while those walking with the funny hats are on the last year. The others are there just for the fun.

The parade starts on the university campus and slowly passes through the city streets, until it reaches downtown. At the end of the day, there's concerts near the river and other activities.

This is a bit far from the city I live in and as I had a previous engagement, I had to leave early. So apart all other constraints, I had to work in a hurry (sort of).

I hope I'll do better next year, having your comments in mind and my own evaluation. All in all, it was yet another fun learning experience. :)