Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Big ultra-long zoom test
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm 

This summer I'll compare the
- Tamron 200-500mm
- Nikon 80-400mm VR
- Tokina 80-400mm
The Sigmas AF 80-400mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG APO RF OS, the AF 135-400mm 4.5-5.6 DG Asp APO RF or the AF 170-500mm 5.0-6.3 DG Asp APO RF and the AF 50-500mm 4.0-6.3 EX DG APO HSM RF didn't make it on my list, because either other tests indicated only soso performance or the lens was not available (the 80-400 OS).
So watch this space in the next two weeks. I'll keep y'all posted!
Detail reports are under the individual lens-threads, summary reporting/comparison will be posted here...

Here are all longs in two shots (at their shortest and at their longest, clickable for closer view):
Image Image
From top to bottom:
Tamron 200-500mm, Nikon VR 80-400mm, Tokina 80-400mm, Nikon18-200mm

-----------------
In the meantime I've added two other zooms:
Sigma AF 100-300mm 4.0 EX APO HSM IF
Sigma AF 120-400mm 4.5-5.6 DG APO HSM OS
plus
There are reviews of two long fixed focals as a high quality alternative to the zoom:
Sigma 300mm f/4.0 APO macro
Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO macro

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:23 pm 

Now that some test-shots have been made, the winner is...:
:!: :!: The Nikon 80-400mm :!: :!:
It has IS (absolutely important) :D :D :D
It is clearly the sharpest (second most important) :D :D
It is a FF-lens (well, that doesn't matter if you don't have the small change for a FF-body like the brand-spanking new Nikon D3) :)
The biggest prob being the size and weight of the lens and the antiquated AF/MF switch and IS

Read more in the upcoming detail-review with strange things like "Shake-Tests", "Siemens-Stars", etc. ... :P
-------------
P.S.: And don't forget: This lens may be due for an update, so consider wisely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:56 pm 

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my reports on all three lenses are now ready. If you click on one of my links in my first post it carries you to the final report.
Have fun! And shoot any questions you might have in my direction. Keep in mind though, that all those lenses are now out of my hands, as I gave them back (not totally satisfied with one). So I cannot do any additional testing.

Oh, and btw.:
1. The Tokina can be had not only for Nikon FX/DX-bodies but also for Canon and the Tamron also for Canon and Sony!
2. Gordon is currently testing the Nikon VR 70-300mm. So for those of you who not necessarily need 400-500mm, that might be a viable alternative: smaller, lighter, cheaper!

Addendum:
And lightest and cheapest is this Tamron 500mm mirror-lens reviewed here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:19 pm 

For all you lovers of long focal lenses I just wanted to let you know that a new review of a VLL (Very Long Lens) is imminent: The Sigma 400mm f/5.6 APO macro here.
The review is slowly building (as with all my reviews) so keep your patience until I'm finished, but I can already say as much: This lens is really astonishing!

What, it's not a zoom?!?! Yes, but...
What do you value more: excellent results at 400mm or a so-so performance around the entire zoom range :?: :idea:

Ha, reviews from Nikon-fanbois are only for Nikonians!!! Not quite...
As Sigma has made this lens also for other bodies. So if you're a Canonite or else keep your eyes peeled for cheap offers of this lens on eBay (or any other place of your choice) 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 am 

No doubt results are great.. But Not Available in Cannon?? I need it in cannon. Because, Tamron & others are so expensive.