Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 pm 
Photoj wrote:
I haven't been on the forum for a long while.

You've another solid self-portrait. As has been mentioned, you've got the shadow behind you. Two reasons why this is happening - you're firing a direct flash and you're too close to the background. Position yourself a little further from the wall (let's say about 40cm).

Beyond other forms of external lighting, positioning yourself further from the wall might be a simple option. Ideally you'd be looking for off-camera lighting here.

Hey Ed,

Long time no see, i couldn't move myself more "back" from the wall so to speak. The room isn't big enough for that, but i just placed an order for the diffuser. So that problem will be solved by the end of next week hopefully!

Khol, haha climbing the turning torso would be kinda of cool, but i dont think i could do it :)...what you talking about my "guns" are perfectly nice, i work out 3 times a week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 pm 
Bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Long time no see, i couldn't move myself more "back" from the wall so to speak. The room isn't big enough for that, but i just placed an order for the diffuser. So that problem will be solved by the end of next week hopefully!

A diffuser can only help a little. Did you try the bounce card method I mentioned in another thread?

I have noticed that you did take the image at 22mm. If you are short on space, you can at least move another 10cm from the wall if you shot at 18mm and then cropped the image afterwards. Distance from a wall is important in reducing shadows, and would be my fundamental message to you. No matter if you have a diffuser or not, you will not be able to entirely eliminate shadows unless that distance is taken into consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:33 pm 
I m fully aware that the diffuser will not help to 100% that i knw :)

i did take the image at 22. But it was just very tight in space! I did try the method with the cards that you were talking about, but instead of using one i used three and that worked great. I got another example of those just going to get it up to the web before i finish this post!

I pointed the flash at 45 i think it was and then with the 3 cards, i used business cards. and it worked really nice. I was standing at the same distance from the wall (pretty close) and there are some shadows, by my sleeves but not as many as the other one

see for yourself :)

when with a different wardrobe this time

I regret not wearing shoes when taking this image