Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Canon vs. Nikon
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 pm 

MangoMan wrote:
zorro wrote:
Are you planning to get a tripod? You'll need one for HDR. If you do have a tripod then the lack of AEB on the D40(x) is less of an issue as it's pretty easy to adjust the exposure manually. Of course, if you're not planning on buying a tripod then AEB becomes important, not as important as a rock solid grip though. Just something else to think about.

Zorro.

I wasn't planning on getting a tripod as a decent one would set me back about 80 quid and i feel that money could be better spent on a nice lens or a better camera body as bob has pointed out.

Bob Andersson wrote:
Not everyone regards the 350D as a significantly inferior to the 400D as the thread at http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728&highlight= shows.

A quick check of my favourite price comparison site shows that in the UK the D80 body is only £66 dearer than the EOS 400D body so the major difference in price of a body plus lens is driven by the lens you choose.

Looking at the price of a D80 with AF-S DX 18-70mm kit lens of £635.00 that leaves around £206 after buying a 400D body (£429) to find an equivalent Canon lens. There is the EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 USM for £219 or the EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM II for just £169. Or you could go mad and buy an image stabilised EF 28-135mm f3.5-f/5.6 IS USM lens for a budget breaking £288. If you need the wide angle coverage of the Nikon kit lens then only the Canon kit lens seems to fit the budget.

So, in summary:

If you want to go the image stabilised route then I think Canon offers the only option on a limited budget - Nikon fans to the rescue with your posts correcting this assumption please. :!:

Conversely, unless you are happy with the 400D kit lens I don't think that the D80 is more expensive than the 400D - Canon fans to the rescue with your posts correcting this assumption please. :!:

Well, I'm glad I've cleared that up - not. :? It's not easy is it?

Bob.

I prefer the menus on the Nikon D80 over the Canon, but the Canon is then cheaper with the kit lens.
I definitely want to go the IS or VR route, each respective to their manufacturer.

This isn't easy at all :(

I hope you don't think the spending stops once you've got the camera because I can assure you it won't, lol.

I just mean in the future, when you need a tripod you need a tripod. No amount of fancy tech has gotten around that one yet.

I havent tried multiple exposures hand-held but i can't really see it working too well. Unless someone else knows different.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:03 pm 
Yeah lol, initially though i just want a fairly good general purpose body with some nice features, and some good lenses. Either way as i progress in my level of understanding and quality of my photography I'll buy what i need.