Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 pm 
I voted for Bob as well. I am an avid walker, whenever I have my boots on I feel like Dorothy from the Wizard of Ozz.

I only wish I had the gear that I have now a couple of years ago. I done the Nepal Charity Trek, truly amazing. My photo's would have been so much different.

:D :D Cheers Ormina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:52 pm 
Lets all vote :D

there has to be a way we can make this voting process a bit more easy, i dont remember all the entries and to be honest it can be quite time consuming to find the entries of the one i m looking for etc, how about starting a flickr group for CL members only (invite) and then we show the entries there and both here as well? and just send the image into the group? and state the user name on CL as the image title for that month...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:34 pm 
Agree with alex168. It's confusing to vote with all these entries on a long list with only the very impersonal names - mine included - to guide. Could be good with a little picture together with the names in the vote. Maybe Gordon Laing should nominate - say - the 10 best entries, and then we could vote for our favourite.

Don't know if it will make these assignments to complicated for Gordon, but it'll definitely help on the voting itself. Also an issue is less influence by the common user if Gordon Laing is to nominate the top candidates.

Just my thoughts about the On Assignment
JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:06 pm 

My method is to open two browser tabs each displaying the submissions thread for the month. I scroll through the first page until I find the entry I like best and leave that tab open at that picture. I then use the other tab to continue through the entries until I find one I like better and leave that tab at that position. I then switch to the other tab and continue on from the new favourite. Switching between tabs makes it easy to compare and I guess this would work pretty much as well with two browser windows if your browser doesn't support tabs. Having picked my favourite I then scroll through the other entries once more and make sure I'm still happy with my choice. :idea:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 pm 

do you guys think it would be better if like there was a separate page for voting that had the name and a thumbnail of the image?

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:00 pm 

JakeOConnell wrote:
do you guys think it would be better if like there was a separate page for voting that had the name and a thumbnail of the image?

The trouble is that it can be hard to do justice to an image at the current size, depending on the subject of course. Clickable thumbnails might work with the competition sized entry opening in a new tab or window. That doesn't get you much further along than my suggestion in my previous post and, most importantly of all, I'm not aware of any phpBB Mods which could automate the process. Have pity on your poor Administrator! If Gordon had to manually resize the best part of 100 images and produce a post containing them just below the Poll he'd be spending a couple of hours doing it instead of answering forum member's questions. And, no; I'm not volunteering for the task either. :!: :!: :!:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:18 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
My method is to open two browser tabs each displaying the submissions thread for the month. I scroll through the first page until I find the entry I like best and leave that tab open at that picture. I then use the other tab to continue through the entries until I find one I like better and leave that tab at that position. I then switch to the other tab and continue on from the new favourite. Switching between tabs makes it easy to compare and I guess this would work pretty much as well with two browser windows if your browser doesn't support tabs. Having picked my favourite I then scroll through the other entries once more and make sure I'm still happy with my choice. :idea:

Bob.

Not to be annoying or anything but that sure sounds like quite the work load to cast a vote on such a thing, it take me less time to pay my bills then that....i mean there has to be another way...we just gotta find out how? Maybe Gordon has some input on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:56 pm 

Hi Alex,

Seems simple enough to me but never mind. I probably didn't explain it very well.

Your Flickr idea was discussed some time ago in, if memory serves, a slightly different context. The problem would be that not everyone wants a Flickr account (strange as that may sound) and you would end up disenfranchising some forum members if the only way they could participate in "On Assignment" was by joining a Flickr group. Not having a Flickr account myself maybe there is a way of using it without having to sign up that I am unaware of but then who is going to do the work of creating the gallery each month?

Keep the ideas coming though. If there is a better way it would be great if we could find it rather than putting it all on Gordon's shoulders. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:24 pm 
My vote for this one went to urdy gurdy as the concept of air/road and sea all grouped together in this unique shot. I really like it .

Also to give others a bit of encouragment as we can only vote once I would like to say my next favourites were Cottonmouths boats, Stevesayskunpai - train in motion and Quintens Tracks all beautiful shots.

Must say I am stumped as to Mays assignment and bet there will be some real stunning shots posted in the next few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:29 pm 
how about hosting a free of charge site? and we could have an admin to take care of uploading the pictures there? and make sure that there was a admin account (shared amongst CL members) so we could access it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:16 am 
Have a look at this. Wired.com has compiled a list of the top ten transportation photos

Looks like somebody's been stealing Camera Labs' ideas. 8) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm 

Hmm. No Boots. It's rubbish! :P :roll: :wink:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 pm 

and no ducks.

rubbish.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:57 pm 
patti wrote:
and no ducks.

rubbish.

patti

It would have to be a bloody big duck to use as transport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:05 pm 
Defiance wrote:
patti wrote:
and no ducks.

rubbish.

patti

It would have to be a bloody big duck to use as transport

or if you have a picture of a bunch of ducklings riding on a momma duck's back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next