Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need help....!!!
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:23 pm 
Hey everyone, I need your comments/feedbacks/advise
All replies are much appreciated

I recently took a photo with my family and the picture does not seem ot turn out right. I took this photo with about 1.5 second shutter speed and about f/4.6 with no flash. I did this so that I can use the orange lighting for the picture which looks more natural. (If i say so myself) :P :P

My camera (Pentax K10D) is on a tripod and the timer is set to 12 seconds with AF-S focus and the image stablizing turned off. Somehow the picture turned out blur and it is not that satisfying. What did I do wrong?

Thanks ahead for any help from anyone ;)

Here is the picture :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:30 pm 

Well Xnightz. We cannot really judge from the photo whether you really have a blur problem, because at this magnification it looks quite right.
But reading that you used 1.5 sec exposure there are two possible explanations:
1. Your subjects moved a little (breathing!) (some persons are sharper than others)
2. Your tripod is not as stable as should be (everything has the same slight blur)
The third reason could be
3. Wrong focus (only some parts are tack sharp)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:36 pm 

Hi Xnightz,

It's difficult to tell for sure because of the size of the image. Can you provide a link to the full-sized original or some 100% crops? If so then please don't use the [img]..[/img] tags for images larger than 1024 pixels. Use the [url]..[/url] tags instead.

It looks as though this is partly a depth of field issue (see this recent thread). Somehow I doubt very much that the members of the group can stay still enough for 1.5 seconds either, particularly those who are standing.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:04 pm 
Hi,

Can I ask what white balance you used? It's just it looks overly warm to me.

Also, you might want to try increasing the ISO a little and trying to get a faster shutter speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:05 pm 
White balance doesn't look good to me, I would alter that. Why not up ISO for faster shutter speed if lighting conditions low? This will minimise blur because of subjects moving.

Have you thought about taking the portrait near a window on a cloudy day to give more natural lighting conditions?

I am not wanting to critisise your work, just offer some constructive feedback. Hope it helps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:19 pm 
Wow....great feedbacks....Thanks alot guys
Well , I just came back from a study retreat and I've been busy with those stuff.

Anyway, let's move on

Thomas, I guess you are right, and my guess is right, the shutter speed is way too slow and I know that humans are not statues!! :P :P. As for the focus, where do u think i should focus? Thanks a lot for suggestions..it helps

Bob, I have doubts as well posting it at just 500px...
Here is the URL guys if u want a clearer view ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeychin89/2457179866/sizes/l/
And btw, mind sharing on the surface wat the depth of field is?.. Thanks a lot

Mark-A, honestly, and this is embarassing, I didn't know wat the white balance was and I found out like 2 days ago. Anyway, this white-balance it on default (Auto) and the orange lighting is because I have really bright orange lights :P :P. Faster shutter speed makes my image dark, but I think i'll try increasing the ISO

Blueorb, before I start I wanna warn you, do not ever hesitate to critisise...hahahaha.....I'll accept wat ever you said man so dun worry alright? :) Anyway, my window is not at a strategic position where 5 people can fit near there. And don't worry, what you said helps. encourgae me to find a new and bettwe spot.

Btw just to quench eveyone's curiousity, I am the one in the middle with the red shirt ;)

Thanks, will be expecting more from you guys ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:36 pm 

Xnightz wrote:
...Bob, I have doubts as well posting it at just 500px...
Here is the URL guys if u want a clearer view ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeychin89/2457179866/sizes/l/
And btw, mind sharing on the surface wat the depth of field is?.. Thanks a lot...

Thanks for the bigger picture - looks like a happy family. I think the main problem is motion blur caused by the slow shutter speed. There may also be a small depth of field issue but if you would like to learn more about this have a read of Understanding Depth of Field over at CambridgeInColour.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:49 pm 
Haha, it is a happy family :P :P

Anyway, thanks Bob for that link, it helps ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:54 pm 
Yeah you really need a flash for indoor photos like these!

Or you could have shot this closer to a window that would bring down the shutter speed al ot, i dont think the appreture is a big issue in this case because it looks good, there is no real bokeh (aka the lens blurring)

its quite hard to stand spot on fr 1.5 seconds i cant even for 1 :P

I would go for a a reshoot when the sun is shining through one of the windows and you will shot with the direction of the sun (aka having the light hitting the peoples faces)

As far as the composition goes or the candid portrait, i think those chairs are a tad too big. Your folks r too small :P (joke hehehe) I wouldnt suggest your lill sister having her hands leaned over like she has them and suggest your family (mom and lill sis) to wear something less distracting as far as clothing goes..

that's my $3.50

hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:16 pm 
Hey alex

That's a real detail tip and advise there, hahaha
Thanks alot,

Well my folks like those chairs so nothing could be done. :P :P
And I can't really suggest much about clothings to my sis or mom, both of my sis are qualified fashion designers so i wouldn't wanna mess with what they wanna dress. hahaha but good suggestion though alex. I would think that the colours of the clothes will have a significant affect as well ;)

If u read my previous post, I said that my windows aren't really that flexible and I have awnings and roof to block the sun.......well, my luck i guess haha,

Thanks for the input, It's a great help ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:06 pm 
faster shutter with a higher ISO...if you're only gonna take a couple pics take it in RAW so that you can adjust the picture's white balance later on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:28 pm 
palakaboy wrote:
higher ISO...

WOW! i cannot believe i didn't think about that, thats a very good tip Higher ISO = more light...

Srry that i skimmed through the reading a bit, i missed the window parts...

Well let me ask you this? What do you parents/sister want a good family portrait or a pretty normal/OK family photo where they have great chairs and distractive clothing?

I'm in contact with fashion daily i sell jeans for the local Levi's store and manage the visual and the buy in of products, but i knw when i m going to shoot a portrait that i m not going to wear the "funkiest" or best looking clothes that i have (of course a tux or a suit would look great) when i would take a portrait picture! And sure i love the beach and i have a preferred spot that i love, but then again the background scene (representing the chairs) isn't good for what i'm shooting...

Sometimes you must compromise, and i bet you explained this to them they would understand, then anyways who cares what they are wearing its the eye's/face that is the most interesting subject in a portrait.

Thats just what i think, meant no disrespect :)

All the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:41 am 
Hey everyone,

palakaboy, nice tip, I'll use that thanks ;)

alex, well its just to have a nice family photo. Not a perfect one which is going to be printed out in A1 size and hang it on the wall. Just a nice acceptable photo,

Nah, you are not being disrespectful, sometimes wat I said is also ridiculous, like their clothes as stuff. Wat you said is true, one fact is that the photo is not scheduled...haha, it is just random and someone just says "hey let's take a photo". So it's not really that necessary to have a perfect photo where the clothes, the colour have to be perfectly right. I want a photo which has a high image quality and memorable enough to last for a long time ;) :P :P

Thanks alot for your efforts, and concern for my problem alex, really appreciate that. ;)

P.S. I am the youngest in the family, so.....you know.... :P:P (I am really young compare to them :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:47 am 
I took you for the eldest :P

No problem man :) just wanted to hand out a few pointers that is all :)