Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Settings for gigs?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm 
Hello. Only have my 450D a few days. Just reading the manual at moment. Would like to take it to a gig this weekend,and try it out. I have the kit lense and the 50mm f1.8. But im totaly lost on what the best settings to have it at? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:56 pm 
Hi stabo,

don't have this specific camera myself, but a few naming-conventions aside, they are all pretty much the same.

When you say "gig" I imagine an indoor venue with lots of people, artificial lighting and not enough of it. Lots of movement.

Fortunately you have a light-sensitive lens at F1.8.

I would suggest shutter-speed priority, unless you specifically are looking for blur. Perhaps something around 1/200 sec for hand held. Your built-in flash is going to do you very little good in a setting like that.

I'd also suggest shooting in RAW so you can more easily adjust white-balance later. Alternately, do several test-shots with different WB settings to see what you are most pleased with.

Set your camera to continuous shooting mode - so when holding down "the trigger" it will continue to shoot. It doesn't compromise the single shots one bit.

Color-saturation and in-camera sharpness settings are all a matter of taste, so I can't advise on that. However, shooting in RAW it's a lot faster and easier to manipulate that when you get back to your computer.

Last, but not least - depending on how you feel about noise, you might consider setting your camera to no exceed ISO800, to avoid images that are too grainy with noise. This too is a matter of taste and circumstances, so experimenting with ISO800 and above to see what is acceptable to you, might be a good idea before hitting the gig.

Congratz on your new DSLR - it can certainly produce some great images for you. Hope to see some shots from your try-out sometime.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:37 pm 
what kind of gig is it?it would be very helpful to know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 pm 
Hey thanks for replys. Its a niteclub DJ gig. What setting mode is best for this? TV,M,P,AV........ ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 pm 
i always go manual...but if you don't have enough time to play with settings...which im guessing you don't set your flash on and go on P...