Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:40 am 
I covered a strange event yesterday evening - an exhibition about nothingness. Suffice to say I couldn't quite fathom a lot of the ideas behind the display, and this just made the photography a little more difficult. I've plenty more images on my website, but here are three that I'd particularly like some feedback on.

Image 1:

(Image removed from online gallery - expired)

Deliberately out-of-focus image of an enthusiast photographer checking an image on his 400D.

Image 2:

Self-reflecting origami artist, and his reflection.

Image 3:

Multi-tasking cup stacking and staring.

Overall it was a strange event to cover (with obligatory low lighting in parts of the venue!), and the brief was to cover the unconventional. I'd like to know what you think, and comments about the other photos on my website from this event are welcome.

Last edited by Photoj on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:31 am 
I don't really feel qualified to critique as such but I can say I love #3 the way the picture alters the conventional framing with the rectangle formed by the wall the floor and the picture behind (there's even a square formed if you take the leg into account) it just really works for me, great photo.

#2 doesn't do anything for me and I find both the guy in the background with his head missing and the chair to the left of the head of the main subject a bit too distracting.

#1 I think is a really clever photo nicely framed using the photographer, I am kind of drawn to the hand then back to the camera whilst still looking at the model / manikin in the background, it really draws my eye around the image which I like.

Looked like a tough one mate, I will have more time later so will check out the images on your website.

Final thoughts #3 is awesome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:50 am 
Ahh now #2 is definitely much nicer than the incorrectly posted one mate, I like that a lot actually, I get the feeling of someone intently watching the artist at work - nicely balanced image to my eye.

Out of interest do you know what the things he was creating were?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:59 am 
Thanks. I made a mistake to create a post beyond my bed time and didn't check my uploaded images, inadvertantly putting up a hashed test shot during a rehearsal rather than the one in the real run through. Slightly off-topic, just for you Mark-A: rehearsals are very good times to explore ideas. Most of my test shots looked at how shadows, reflections worked whilst trying different exposures and moving around the lighting. Suffice to say that my success rate during the rehearsal was lower than normal because I was playing around with various ideas and camera settings that I wouldn't normally dare to in an actual event in case I missed a shot.

He was creating origami paper cranes from coloured paper, and every so often he created some from lined paper with meaningless scribbles on.

You're more than qualified to critique - anyone can. I think it's to do with what pleases the eye, and we all can be the judge of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:13 am 
Hey Ed,

This is like the first few shots that your posting here that i m daring to critique, lets see if i can!

Image 1: Its a nice picture i must say, its not what some one would expect from such an event, but i like the capture. I think that the fact that most of the things are blured is quite interesting, it leaves space for my imagination to try to figure out what that statue/object in the far back is. This image applies to the event that you were cowering quite nicely i must say because it was nothingness, and nothing is in focus here so to speak! Nice idea.

Image 2: I m not really liking this image, i would love to see his face (mood capture maybe?) And i see that you wanted to work with the reflection. But the upper right/left part of the image are some what distracting form what the main subject (as i see it at least its the man playing with the papers) the same goes for that well look alike thing on the floor (could have cloned it out perhaps?) Its seems to be a tad out of focus, but i cant really tell because of the size of the image.

Image 3: I think this iamge is tad underexposed, i would like to see a bit more of lightning from maybe the left hand side towards his face (possible an external flash) I think that the fact that feet and the other face are cut of so to speak they dont fit in the frame. But the facial expression on the main subjects face is priceless, that is anice capture. I'm not at all bothered by the angle that you decided to shoot from, i quite like give the image some hight!

Thats all i have to say, its going to be interesting to see what you come back with! Thanks for sharing this Ed

EDIT: i went to take a look at the rest of the shots, this is my favorite one of the entire session:http://www.edtangphotography.com/photo1039908.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:52 am 
alex168 wrote:
This is like the first few shots that your posting here that i m daring to critique, lets see if i can!

Image 1: This image applies to the event that you were cowering quite nicely i must say because it was nothingness, and nothing is in focus here so to speak! Nice idea.

Image 2: the upper right/left part of the image are some what distracting form what the main subject (as i see it at least its the man playing with the papers) the same goes for that well look alike thing on the floor (could have cloned it out perhaps?) Its seems to be a tad out of focus, but i cant really tell because of the size of the image.

Image 3: I think this iamge is tad underexposed, i would like to see a bit more of lightning from maybe the left hand side towards his face (possible an external flash)

EDIT: i went to take a look at the rest of the shots, this is my favorite one of the entire session:http://www.edtangphotography.com/photo1039908.html

Thanks for your feedback Alex. It has been a while since I shared new work with the forum.

The event was strange and I wasn't the only "photographer" there. I didn't really have a clear brief other than to capture what the event was about. I had two options - go conventional, or go against it. I went for the latter and the photography was more in line with abstract and street photography than representative shots. I went with a theme of slightly out-of-focus to fit in with the nothingness theme, and to create images that would leave the viewer moving their eye around a defined but unclear subject,/object like image 1.

As for image 3, the underexposure was a result of the interior; the spot lit white walls were a recipe for overexposure, and in that instance, I would consider using the SB600 wirelessly in front of that performer but that was the fundamental issue. These were performers, and firing a light during their performance wouldn't have pleased them. I spot metered for his face and that was the result I achieved.

Overall it's a breath of fresh air to have covered an event where I didn't have to worry that every shot had to be sharp. I just composed, focused, then mildly defocused all night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:32 pm 
I would have preffered the first image to be the background in focus and the person with the camera blurred... it would have been much better picture in my opinion.. the way it is now it's that it lacks any subject.. although it's about nothingness, you must have some sort of subject. I don't think that nothing is a good subject, thereby leaveing all the shot blurred out...

no comment on the following images!

cheers,
HNV