Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jakes Pinhole Camers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:51 pm 

A while Back I made a pinhole camera, it used 5X7 resin coated black and white photographic paper, and it was an oatmeal container. I'd never done anything in a darkroom except developing a 10X10 Negative of a areal image a few years ago. I bought all the supplies and did some "bathroom developing." didn't work super well and I haven't done much with it since march.

Today I decided to make a new pinhole camera that shoots: film, so I can get it developed it'll be faster. First off lets review my pinhole cameras.

JO-PC1

JO-PC2
(camera in the BG and the film I used in the FG picture that with a film canister on both sides (taped on))
(results later)

I'm not sure if all the images are framed, and hell I don't even know if they'll come out. I've never dropped film off, so that was a heck and an expirience. Well The guy said 2-2.5 hours so I'll have some results in a bit.

Jake

PS: has anyone else tried pinhole photography, why not post it?

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Last edited by JakeOConnell on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:50 pm 
I dont understand this Jake? You got the film inside of that can?

and what is pinhole photography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:57 pm 

alex168 wrote:
...and what is pinhole photography?

There's a write-up here found using this Google search. :)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:59 pm 
Bob, i was just wondering do you work for google? :)

If jake is doing this project he might as well explain it i think he wont mind explaining it at all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:17 pm 

Sorry, just trying to help. I'll go away and sulk now :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:41 pm 
Yeah i was just messing around Bob, i love your help you knw that and i much do appreciate it! your making me spoiled tho by handing things to me on a silver plate, but i sure love it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:55 pm 

Alex,

Pinhole camera are ancient. and the design is kind of based of the "camera obscura." Basically you have a lightproof container. I used an oatmeal container painted black on the inside, its light tight. Then you cut a hole in lets say 2cmx2cm. then you take a material to make the pinhole out of, I used a piece of a soda can, I've also used tin foil. Then you make a shutter to cover the hole. You go into the dark room and load in (for the JO-PC1) photographic paper. Photographic paper is light sensitive and if you were developing film its what you would expose you negative onto. Then you go into the darkroom and process it. Then load another sheet and so on. (I should mentions the exposure time is ridiculous with paper, like 30 seconds on a nice sunny day)

In order to avoid the developing, mainly because I am not good at it and its a time consuming process. I made one that takes film. I took a couple photos blindly (the clicker I made to count sprockets stopped working so I was just guessing on how many turns to a new frame.

I took the film to get it developed, I expected a bit to be wasted, and it was my first time ever dropping of film. I went back two hours later, the longest two hours I've ever spent reading. The stores just around the corner, and theres a new technician. I go O'Connell (and I was worried, my envelope was the last in the drawer I was thinking they hadn't finished yet) he says blank. i was like come again, and he said they're blank. I get out my wallet and you don't have to pay if you don't actually get prints, btw. I kept the negatives, he must have thought it odd, for my to come in get blanks processed and then keep the negatives. On my way home aside from being mad i realized something. 3/4 of the film (I only shot about 3/4 of the roll) was BLACK and they're negatives, so that just meant over exposed and that meant a light leak. Any way, it was a learning experience.

Alex, pinhole photography was forgotten about literally a few decades after it was invented. so by the 30's no one really cared much. During the sixties people started becoming interested and a lot of photography professors and teachers still today use it just as a method of teaching. They were also especially popular in Czechoslovakia. Anyway, I recommend you maybe try to make one that uses film you can get processed. You can get some great results http://www.pinhole.cz/en/gallery/ has some great stuff.

I'll finish my post later have to go grill some steak.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:09 pm 
Thanks for that nice lill story, it was nice of them, you didnt have to pay for the images! Yeah my guess would be a light leak to!

I m going to check into this seems like alot of fun! If i m not mistaken you can make a camera like this out of a matchbox? or pretty much anything that is light tight!

I m going to check it out

p.s. left you a comment on flickr on how to watermark, check out my new images and tell me what you think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 pm 

alex168 wrote:
Yeah i was just messing around Bob, i love your help you knw that and i much do appreciate it! your making me spoiled tho by handing things to me on a silver plate, but i sure love it :D

Ah. Big hug. 8)

[off-topic]
    Yes, I have been burning the Google candle at both ends recently as I've been researching the Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 dp ballhead. Looking up pinhole cameras is a breeze by comparison. :?
[/off-topic]

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 am 
Hi Jake,

I have to say i love your little inventions (reinventions). I cannot wait for the next installment. My favourite one so far was when you made your own lens, that was great. I am thinking about doing something similiar. I am hoping to create something like a fisheye lens. Going to get some cheap bits and bobs off ebay and see how we go. I think it will have to be a holiday project though as i do not really have time for it atm. In the mean time i will be waiting impatiently for you new posts.

Your biggest fan! 8)

Post subject: Pinhole camera
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 pm 
In a recent LensWork DVD, #74, there's a 25 minute video "Big Picture" about a team using an aircraft hangar to create a 30 feet by 100 feet pinhole photo. A must see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 am 

I've been planning my next camera, I am thinking it will be wooden, but I'll try to make it really functional, totally practice. For one It will have an electronic shutter that is on a 2meter wire with push button switch, (electric)magnet up and spring down. there will be a system of gears for winding the film that only turns far enough to be on the next frame.

Any ideas for a shutter, other than magnets, I'd really like it to be on a cable, so it's like a cable release.

jake

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:28 am 
I haven't got any ideas for the shutter but what about taping the jake lens to it? Could come out with some really interesting effects.