Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 am 

All these photos that i m sharing now today and tomorrow and yesterday are all from one photo session.

I was walking towards the buss, and i had 20min until it was leaving so i decided to walk to another buss stop that was further away to kill time. Well as i m walking across this parking house, where graffiti artists are allowed to place their works on both sides of this building. So i m walking over and i see what looks to me as a dead guy with a 30cm or 15" blade coming out of his back!

So i start freaking out a bit, my heart is easily beating at 200 or something i m shacking, i pick up my cell phone and i call 112. I tell them there is a guy laying on the ground with a knife stuck in his back.

After some of the typical 122 (911) call, i give away the address of where it all was. So this lady comes up to me and says "hey, that just a doll its part of the graffiti" And i was like "WHAT" and i was so shocked but still shacking!

So i started to talk about her and she said that it was her friends that had done the peace, and where doing it in honor of this great graffiti guy that got stabbed in the back! You cant really see it that well but on the top right hand side of the image there is a red line that goes looks like a bunch of scribles its supposed to be blood and it went all the way down to his head.

I though the images and this was an event that i will remember for a long time, i seriously though i saw a dead guy. And the image are very dark and shocking! I decided not to post them here untill i get permission from the staff....

Link

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:28 am 

WOW!!! Pretty freaky! It must have scary when you first saw it!!!!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:28 am 

Seems like an odd way to honour a person....interesting to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 am 

Kinda felt like i was going to have a heart attack, i was shaking!

I think they wanted to make people aware of what the graffiti people are going through to get their illegal art up on the wall!

Imagine seeing this from about 60m away...pretty scary

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm 

holy moly. what a find! what did the 122 operator say when you said nevermined?

Nicholas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:48 pm 

Well i was explaining it all to her (with a freak outed voice) and said the adress and everything!

What i really told her was "Ohh this is supposed to be artistic and she started laughing ig i m not mistaken, but after that she asked me if the person was standing up and i said, yes i mean no its a manikin"

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 pm 

wha?! i would start freaking out myself just lucky someone told you it was a doll or you could of gotten in trouble from the police 0_o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:37 pm 

creepy.. they should put a sign or something that says NOT A REAL DEAD GUY.. or something.. did the cops ever show up??

Vivtar 2800
My flickr
~Dan Nelson~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:38 pm 

Personally I detest the so-called "artists" who specifically make a point of provoking a shock-response by making something seem as if it's real - or in some cases making it real. For example:

Costa Rican contemporary artist Guillermo "Habacuc" Vargas tied a dogl without food and water under the words Eres Lo Que Lees (You Are What You Read) made out of dog biscuits, at the C—dice Gallery in Managua, Nicaragua. He gave the dog the name Natividad (birth), but it died right in front of the public's eyes, still chained to the wall.

He now plans to recreate the stunt at the Bienal Centroamericana Honduras 2008 exhibition in Costa Rica later this year, to highlight what he brands as people's hypocrisy.

You can google it if you can stomach the pictures.

So, I'm a not particularly sympathetic to these artist's self-proclaimed crusades to force people to react to something.

All it takes is someone with the stones to document the real horror of our societal problem instead of increasing the amount of suffering in the name of "art".

For the sake of the general tone in this great forum I've held back the expletives. Suffice it to say that I am at a loss to adequately articulate - in a civilized manner - what I'd like to do with him and the people who allowed this to take place - and a fair few of the visitors who stood there watching this in an exhibit without doing anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:50 pm 

LahLahSr wrote:
...So, I'm a not particularly sympathetic to these artist's self-proclaimed crusades to force people to react to something...

Couldn't agree more. In my view such individuals are intellectually and creatively bankrupt and are generally to be pitied, though I think imprisonment is more appropriate in the case of the dog killer. That story also speaks incredibly poorly of those members of the public who apparently witnessed the event and did nothing to prevent it. Shame on them.

Hey, it's a long time since I had a good rant. Back to being moderate... 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:07 am 

What I don't understand is why they would think that staging a dead body would make a good tribute. . . or even call it art :?

I think the dying dog as art is a most horrible act that puts a huge hamper on the word or act of art. If you did anything like that here in the states you would be in jail for a very long time.

Ok, I guess it is my turn to talk about controversial art.
I have seen this show on the "History Channel" and on the "Science Channel". I think this is right on the edge with the chance of crossing the line.

The Artist and Scientist that had "made" the "examples" is named Dr. Gunther von Hagens'. What he has done is taken human and animal bodies, and preserved them with the process of "Plastinization".
He has done this for two reasons.

1. The examples were/are meant for teaching medical student.
He had the idea of doing this because at the time there was a shortage of donated bodies for study.

2. He would be able to re-use them over again, and would be able to show in detail how everything works right down to the smallest of nerves.

The video's are made for TV. The second even tho it is made for TV may offend some. If you watch the video's watch the first video before the other!

Here is a video I found on YouTube here

for the brave here is how it is done link

Nicholas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:06 am 

Interesting points there! i must say.

But i have seen a crops once, as i mentioned a while back my older brother is studying medicine, and i joined him once in his anatomy class because i was curious. I was fully aware of that i was going to see a crops, which they where going to learn on find different arteries etc. All the medical stuff.

But the experience of seeing that doll on the street was a lot worse then seeing that woman in their class room....

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am 

Took me a while to work out that Crops was actually Corpse :oops:

EDIT:
I found the story about the Dog "art" disturbing, not the reporting of it but the actual act of putting an animal through that suffering is appalling and the "artist" should be in prison at the very least.

EOS 5D | EOS 40D | 28-80 L f2.8 - 4 (took a swim) replaced with 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 70-200 L F2.8 IS USM | 17-85 | 70-300 | 100mm USM Macro | 50mm 1.4 | 50mm 1.8 II | 2x Extender | 100mm Macro USM 2.8 | 3x 285HV Vivitar Flash | Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger system | 430EX

My DPC Profile | My Website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:46 pm 

OK guys, as alex168 said, this is a controversial thread. The sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed that the tone in one reply gave me enough cause for concern about a flame war that I locked the thread. The author of that post has asked that I delete it which I have gladly done, together with my original reply.

As a result I have now unlocked this thread. Please be aware as you add to the thread that what you write may be upsetting to other members if not phrased with care. We have a wonderfully friendly and respectful community here on the forum and I know you will post in this thread with sensitivity.

Thanks for your cooperation. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:51 pm 

I suppose it's the age old question of "what is art?"

As a vegetarian and animal lover I find that 'exhibition" disturbing.
I do however vaguely remember the artist trying to rationalize this horrible act.
The dog was a stray and apparently would have died in worse conditions than the ones suffered.
However, starving an animal for the sake of art... I can't stomach that.

I wouldn't worry too much about a second exhibition however. Now that the world knows about it, those urban-terrorists PETA will be there to cause an unnecessary fuss.

(Sorry if that last comment offends anyone, I just have good solid reasons for my dislike of PETA which shall be discussed here or anywhere else).