Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:58 pm 
Traditional voice of a purist:
Holy kazooey a camera without a shutter. That's not a camera! :?

But we all know the horrible truth(or rather, marvel) of modern technology,
SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:34 pm 

Bob,

Very short short, if its 60fps, and a good movie is captured at around 32fps, divide the 60/32ish (i just did 30) and its about a 2 second movie.

This camera is awesome!! http://www.exilim.com/intl/ex_f1/features2.html watch some of those highspeed shots! I love highspeed videos.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:17 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Other digital cameras just switch the sensors on and off. It's called "gating" I think.

With cameras like the EX-F1 we call it 'gatling'. :lol:

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:03 pm 
Now, if they would just make a dedicated video-camera that is affordable with these high-speed modes, I'd be interested.

Cheers :-)

Post subject: Video
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 pm 
To make best use of the combination of video and stills, we need our cameras to have two shutter buttons, one for still and one for video, and eliminate the 'mode' dial. The different-mode thinking belongs in the previous century.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am 

Luminous Landscapes have just published this review of the EX-F1. While the review isn't up to Gordon's exacting standards it's certainly good enough to show that there are some issues with the camera, depending on your intended use.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:44 am 

Hi folks,

The European TIPA wards for 2008 have been announced. Here is the Casio winner - click on the image for the TIPA write-up:-
    Best Imaging Innovation: Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1
Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:27 pm 
Hey guys, first post here! But as for the shutter it has both. It has a normal shutter for sane firing speeds and then switches to an electronic shutter for those insane speeds. But even using its 7cps flash strobe photography it looks like you are getting hit by a ray gun.

And the 60fps can also be changed to 10fps for 6 seconds. thats just how many pictures its buffer can hold and what its capable of.

I photograph motorsports and Motorcycle stunt riding, And i'm really looking forward to seeing how its nighttime handling is. Its very hard to compose shots on my buddies rebel when you need to keep another eye on everything zooming around you.

I can't wait for a review of this cameas quality as a "camera" by camera labs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:42 pm 

Hi Elfmaze,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forums.

There's a review of the Casio Exilim EX-F1 here. Not as thorough a review as we are used to here at CameraLabs but enough to suggest that the camera has issues.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Well i guess thats why they didn't post there startup times anywhere. its a bit longer than usual. once started though do these type of cameras use much power ideling waiting for a shot to come up? turning it on and off would be slightly annoying. but at least the shutter lag is virtually nill.

As far as the immage quality unfortunatly from those shots it looks very simmilar to the rest of the pack of smaller ccd sensor cameras. I don't think i've seen any non-slr camera that accually performs well at 800+ISO. A bit disappointing. But those high speed frame shots of the baloon are impressive.

Any word if there is a way to do time lapse(bulb type setting), an interval timer. either computer or camera controled. and or a way to attach my Infrared and star filters?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
No shutter lol. Only SLRs and rangefinders use shutters nowadays. Other digital cameras just switch the sensors on and off. It's called "gating" I think.

Really? Because my cameraphone (Nokia N95) has a mechanical shutter -you can see it when taking a picture looking through the lens (and the specs for it says it too - Mechanical Shutter - 1/3 to 1/1000 seconds), and I'm pretty my super zoom has as well - but I'm no camera scientist so I won't say for sure. Maybe it's not the shutter I'm seeing?

I've only seen the technique "Gating" in low grade phones - if again I'm not wrong about what I think I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 pm 
Hmmm....well I could be wrong then. I know most digital cameras don't have physical shutters anymore but some still do. It could also be the aperture that you are seeing(or hearing).

Either way, you may be interested in this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:07 pm 

In a locked thread netbreak wrote:
Hello, I was getting interested in the EXILIM Pro EX-F1 (http://www.exilim.com/intl/ex_f1/), not only because of the high speed photos, but also because of the slow motion videos and HD.

Now I know this is a photography site, but, can anyone find or showcase a test video footage? I know the lens and sensor quality ain't that great, but for all purposes they work and function, so for someone walking around can experiment wheter a scene works in video or in photo... (I usually do that).

Please don't flame me. Thanks in advance.

Also, comments and ideas on the camera are welcome![/url]

As I mentioned when I locked that thread, we don't do flaming here, thank goodness (and you, our wonderful friendly community). Anyone have any answers... :?:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:32 pm 
Ok, this review http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-c ... 1/comments says it has a very good 720p video "It does do 720p/60, and pretty good video too."
Does any one have a test footage to prove that?