Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:16 pm 
Well i decided to go for another go with the painting with lights stuff and decided to go a bit over the edge! I did soooo much running just a couple of minutes ago its amazing! Was sweating pretty bad when i got home :)

i will cut to the chase! Tell me what you think

Waiting at the buss stop, yeah one guys inst feeling so great! Why is the other guy trying tp push the buss stop away?

This guy is trying to capture the spider with the lasso, he gets tangled

And my favorite, the city snake, he only shows up at night and he loves construction areas!

How did i do this time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:49 pm 
Ok change the title to LIGHT PAINTING :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:09 am 
i dont understand how you are getting these shots, are you just photoshopping them in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:55 am 
Very nice Alex!!

You really have gotten the hang of these kinds of shots (and a great many others, judging from your active postings here!).

It's a very interesting effect and well-composed too.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:04 am 
smiles77 wrote:
i dont understand how you are getting these shots, are you just photoshopping them in?

a very long shutter time and a little flah light do the trick 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:05 am 
Hey thanks Lah!

I m going to write a tutorial for this, was pllanning on brining a video camera to sho you guys how its done, but i could find it so maybe some other time.

There is no Photoshop what so ever in these photographs!

I use shutter speeds of 30sec and the 10second self time this gives me enought time to get to the area i m going to paint in with light. Yes i use a VERY strong but yeat small flashlight to paint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:56 am 

yeah, but Alex, how did the snake get up there around that pole? Whatever it is, and I picture your setting your tripod, and taking off at a lope, and it is an incredible display...good work...I enjoy this stuff, ok.
I like that snake one, best of all, but the bus one, is cooler then cool, too!
The lasso is very well thought out, and a personal favorite...you did great here, Alex..
can't wait to come back from this little trip, so I can see what you have all been up too...more like these? I sure hope so.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:18 am 
Yes its a snake :) its the city snake actually!

How he got around the pole? Well i moved the flashlight about this pole and i had to keep on passing it to one hand then the other took quite some time honestly, and i wasn't even sure that it was going to work!

I m going to try to get some new ones before you get back patti! :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:04 am 
:lol: The first and last are great!

Anybody stop you and ask what the hell you were doing? I can imagine that you would look pretty odd to the average passerby. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:18 am 
Hahaha yeah they did!

I think about 7 people stopped with their car next to me, as i was laying down to line up the shot they stopped and ask me "ohh we though you where hurt" this other couple just almost stopped and i just looked up and smiled at them, and this other car that stopped which almost ruined my shot was looking at me like "what the hell is he doing there in the middle of the night"

great fun tho, but some cars where just passing by at such speeds, its was kinda scary! but that was only for the 1st shot, the other ones no one was around, this was around 11 at night so there where not that many people wondering about :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 am 
Hey, Alex you got to 1000 posts. well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:52 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Hahaha yeah they did!

I think about 7 people stopped with their car next to me, as i was laying down to line up the shot they stopped and ask me "ohh we though you where hurt" this other couple just almost stopped and i just looked up and smiled at them, and this other car that stopped which almost ruined my shot was looking at me like "what the hell is he doing there in the middle of the night"

great fun tho, but some cars where just passing by at such speeds, its was kinda scary! but that was only for the 1st shot, the other ones no one was around, this was around 11 at night so there where not that many people wondering about :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I asked because I remembered reading about a long exposure HDR this guy did in time square and he complained about continuously having to explain what a HDR was. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:29 pm 
Ohh yeah 1000 posts! thats a lill too much tho!

Explaining it all the time makes sure you know what your doing! Its nice to see that people are taking a look at whats going on in their surrounding's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:21 pm 
ya im definatly going to need a tutorial in how to do this, i cant seem to grasp why if its just you with a flash light in a 30sec pic, why are you not in the pic at all, really blurred or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:48 pm 
Alex keeps moving so that the ambient light will mask his shadow over the course of the long exposure.

It's a very simple technique which takes time to master.