Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: query...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:03 pm 

Just a quick and perhaps cheeky question...

If the e-410, like the e-400 before it, can be "highly recommended" why doesn't it appear in your list of recommended budget DSLR's??

I'm still waiting to for the e-410 to go on sale in Ireland and clearly the delay is getting to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

All will become clear soon!

Gordon

Post subject: mind boggles....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:16 pm 

Oh well now I can't buy a camera! :wink:

You're going to add in the e-510 and have a note about the e-410 in the same recommendation, sneaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:46 pm 

Gordon, I want to get back to the dynamic range issue with the new Olympus DSLRs. DPreview, which has only tested the E-410, says that it has reduced dynamic range, which means that it is more likely to "blow out" highlights. It appears that you don't even test for dynamic range (I searched both reviews for the word "dynamic" and didn't find it).

Is this an important issue? Should I worry about it? And are you able to examine these cameras for dynamic range and give your opinion?

Thanks,

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, I don't currently perform a formal test for dynamic range, but it's something we're considering for the future.

Every publication has to draw a line somewhere. There are lots of tests which would be interesting, but each takes time, makes a review bigger, more ungainly, and basically means you'd be able to review fewer cameras per year and also publish them later than you'd like.

Web publishing is extremely competitive, so to succeed you have to focus on what makes your site unique rather than duplicating tests performed by others.

At Cameralabs we already do several things most sites avoid, such as video tours, lens tests, and brand new sets of outdoor resolution and ISO results for the camera in question compared to at least one major rival. These all take considerable time and resources, but we still try and publish some key reviews before many others.

So it's all about striking a balance. We're certainly considering other tests, but don't want a negative impact on the number of reviews we publish and the date they're actually published.

We do of course listen to our reader requests though, so if there's something lots of people are asking for, we'll do our best to accommodate it!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:01 am 

Gordon, I didn't mean to put you on the defensive. I think your site is great and that you do an excellent job, and I wholeheartedly agree that you can't test every aspect of every camera. I do think that you already test the most important aspects of the cameras.

For example, I'm very concerned about noise, and you spend more time in your reviews examining noise issues than other reviewers, and I very much appreciate that.

My interest in dynamic range has resulted from viewing some high-dynamic pictures on the internet (most of them composites, but at least one of them from a Hasselblad camera). I didn't even understand the issue of dynamic range until recently, but I now see its value.

Incidentally, it astonishes me that you spend so much time reading posts on this forum -- some of the other reviewers don't ever post on their own forums. You are clearly very dedicated to photography and to Camera Labs. It's a great benefit that you make your expertise available to your readers on a one-to-one basis.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Caleb!

As you know it takes time to look through the forum and reply to messages, but I think it's important for the site admin to take part - besides, there's some really good stuff in the postings here!

Gordon