Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What was wrong?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:53 pm 
I took this picture of my daughter and as you can see the camera seems to be focused on the post, but how do I take a picture like this properly?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:06 pm 
Manual focus.

Objects in between the camera and your subject, such as fences or cages at zoos will cause this problem. Overriding the AF will solve the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:18 pm 

If you can, select the central focus area (see p.25 of manual), Paul, then aim for the face. Use focus lock (half-press shutter) and recompose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:40 am 

hi, pjos, gosh dang, welcome to the club of still figuring things out...am sorry that you missed that shot...but you have another opportunity coming up, I bet..

keep going!! I can tell you it gets easier, and more fun, as time goes on..
these guys will help you, here, and just don't quit...that is the secret, the other truth is that not a one of us was born with the technical knowledge, so you can learn, A good eye, you can not teach...some of these folks in here are so good, it boggles your mind...all within your reach, too...so welcome to the Camera Labs, and we will keep our hopes up for the next installment of photos.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 am 
Thanks for the replys :) Manual Focus......... which I had thought of that! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:58 pm 
No, manual focus is actually more difficult, because you need the training.
I don't know about the D40x but I think he has 3AF points,
you just look throught the viewfinder, and you should shee 3 crosses, pretty small ones, and of them is circelled. Well if you aim at the target you want to get in focus with the circelled cross it will autofocus once you slightly push the button ( the one you use to take a picture ).
If you want to get the whole picture as sharp as possible, you just make your aperture really small like f/22. But you will need sunlight in order to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:39 am 
Now, the next thing you should do after you figure how get what you want in focus (by using one of the focus points) and then recomposing, is to search your manual for references to that little "AE-L AF-L" button right next to your viewfinder... :)