Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 am 

Well i think it would be quite intresting to try to apply for a job as an intership or assistant or just a boy that runs and gets the coffe or works for free at a photo studio or with a professional photographer (freelancer).

And i was wondernig if anyone knew any tips or something along those lines, i m guessing a portfolio would be one of those obvious things. But as when it comes to a "CV" wouldnt you do "Photographer CV" so to speak?

Would be intresting to get some thoughts goign....and i hope no one ellse did a thread like this, i knw there are some scattered alla around but very small ones. Would be quite nice to have all the info gather in one thread

p.s. didnt knw where to put it so i placed it right here, though it would fit in professional photogrpahy section.

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 am 

I moved your post to the "Going Pro?" section as some have already discussed this topic here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:47 am 

I'm not too sure about this but what I know is that your chance will be boosted by at least 100% when you write "Currently an active member of Camera Labs forums."

SnS :D

my flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:33 am 

SCREAMnSHOUT wrote:
"Currently an active member of Camera Labs forums."

SnS :D

I dont think that really wont work, unless the photographer himself is very aware of the photograph and discussion you have been partaking at the CL forums

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:36 am 

alex168 wrote:
I dont think that really wont work, unless the photographer himself is very aware of the photograph and discussion you have been partaking at the CL forums

Chill, dude. It was just a friendly joke.

SnS 8)

my flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 pm 

Alex, I don't know myself, but i'd also like to.I think that you should make a portfolio, have some good quality shots in it to. Not really sure if you need a cv or not though.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:43 pm 

Well, for a graphic design university interview you need an indate (no more than 2 years old) portfolio. so im guessing that photography would be the same.
Id say its also nice to have sketch books, not of sketches but like ideas, photos with critical analysis and stuff.

Doing crits on your own work is really important to :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm 

If you say you could be working for free, thát would boost your chances like hell! I'd say just get some email adresses and start writing emails!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:29 pm 

Have a standard CV to complement the portfolio that you will need to build. The content of the portfolio should play to your strength and is targeted at the type of photography for the internship. If you're thinking of studio work, then portraits and people photography would be where you would want to focus upon. When building this portfolio, print 8x10" as a minimum.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:49 pm 

Photoj wrote:
Have a standard CV to complement the portfolio that you will need to build. The content of the portfolio should play to your strength and is targeted at the type of photography for the internship. If you're thinking of studio work, then portraits and people photography would be where you would want to focus upon. When building this portfolio, print 8x10" as a minimum.

This is some great info guys thanks alot, and thanks for the print tip Ed! Will keep that in mind, but i was also thinking towards a online porfolio is that a go or not?

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:57 pm 

It's possible. The convenience factor of having a printed portfolio with you is indispensible, and you know that I'm building an online gallery to suppliment my portfolio. The online means does give your prospective employers/clients time to review your work in their own time.

http://www.edtangphotography.com
http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:24 pm 

I've got a dumb question but i don't care cuz i don't have to feel embarrassed because non of you guys know who i am and i don't have to ask you to your faces!!!!!! :D but...

What's a "CV"???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm 

Curriculum Vitae - A resume about you and your qualifications basically.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 pm 

Markh wrote:
Curriculum Vitae - A resume about you and your qualifications basically.

Mark

straight out of a dictionary :D

My Flickr