Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus lense question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:04 pm 
I read a review recently that implied that the 14-54 Zuiko was much better than the 14-42 that is included in the E410 kit. Anyone have any experience with both lenses? Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:55 pm 

Hi,
I don't own them, but I've read some tests.
In one test the (old) 14-45 and the 14-54 are compared and the conclusion is that the 14-54 is only a little bit better in image quality.
In other tests I have read that the 14-42 is better then the 14-45, so my conclusion would be that there is not much difference between the 14-42 and the 14-54.

But the 14-54 has more range, is faster and weather sealed. Those 3 things make the difference.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:04 am 
14-54mm Zuiko lens was the original kit lens for E1 SLR but, strangely, this camera was fitted with a low resolution sensor that would be up to the power of this lens.
Probably, at the time when Olympus first designed the lens, the technology did not exist, but they were already anticipating the higher resolution sensors of today.
Perhaps a new lens test with the new Olympus 10 megapixel models is warranted. I assume this lens will be the standard kit lens for the upcoming Olympus Pro model - 12 megapixels?
I noticed the D200 comparison test with the D2X - Raw output - was never completed.
Perhaps it could be completed with a D80 included?

Seemoss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Seemoss, we had some technical issues with the RAW files and the converter on that one, so it was delayed indefinitely.

I hope to get the D200 in again sometime though for some updated tests, so we'll see about updating that page...

Gordon