Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FZ50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:21 am 
Hello

First of all, I'd like to thank Mr Gordon Laing for his wonderfull website and for the quality of his reviews, thank you so much, I'm not an addict to the photography world, and even worst, I do not understand all the things I read about aperture, focal etc...
But I'll try to learn step by step.
I'm going to buy the FZ50, it's not an SLR but for me that's enough quality for the money, I had the opportunity to put my hands on it, and I liked the feel also. My first choice was the LX2 but for the price difference I'll go for a bigger zoom.
The sad thing is, that there seems to be a noise problem with this camera.
How big is it ? Will I noticed that noise with pictures of 10x15 or A4 size ?
I tried this weekend to take pictures in a fair with a compact (Panasonic LS2), but was so disapointed with the result, when zooming in, the quality was degraded and in dim light conditions too.
I hope that with the FZ50, it'll be another story.
By the way, is there an alternative to the FZ50 in the same price range ?

Thank you

Michel199

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:13 am 
Site Admin

Hello Michel, thanks for your message and I'm glad you're enjoying the reviews!

Yes, noise can be a problem with the FZ50, especially above 200 ISO. I'd say you wouldn't notice it on an A4 print taken at 100 ISO, and it wouldn't be too bad at 200 ISO, but any higher and it may begin to bother you.

So it really depends on how big you make your prints and what ISO you want to take photos at. If you can take photos at 100 or 200 ISO, then the FZ50 is a great camera, but at higher sensitivities you might be disappointed. If you regularly shoot at 400 ISO or higher and still want big prints, then you should buy a DSLR.

Remember you don't need a brand new DSLR though - models like the Nikon D50 are still on sale and can be picked up at a great price. If you want a long zoom all-in-one though, you should also check the Fujifilm S9500 or S9600, but the noise will still be bad at high sensitivity.

If possible, see if a local camera shop will let you take some photos with an FZ50 in the shop with your own memory card. Or maybe let you take some photos at 400 and 800 ISO, then print them at A4 in the shop. This way you can see for yourself.

I hope that helps,

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 am 
Hi

Thank you very much for your good advices.

Michel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:13 am 
If I were you I would take the advice of the review that was on this board, find a new FZ30 and buy it, it will be cheaper and you will have sharper pics.

Post subject: FZ-50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:12 am 
Hi

Thanks, but I spoke with many people and I'll go for a DSLR, they seem to have many more advantages.
Anyway thank you for your advice

Michel

Post subject: DSLR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:43 am 
I think you need to understand what exactly you get into with a DSLR, for one you do not have the DOF you will have with the FZ30/50, plus to get a zoom lens for a DSLR equal to the Leica lens on the FZ30/50 you will have to spend more for the lens than you will for the camera body. If you decide to go with fix lenses, then you will have to buy several to cover all contigencies. I am a retired Professional Photographer, I went for the FZ30 because of the quality of the camera and that wonderful Leica lens. I got tired of carrying lenses around all the time. Since I did not make my living on being a Professional, my livelyhood did not depend on my photographic work, but even with that, the daily lugging around lenses, having to try to quickly get the right lens for a quick shot, well, the FZ30/50 has definite advantages over a DSLR. Acutally I have found very little difference in my use of SLR's and my FZ30. I know I do not miss shots anymore with my FZ30 which I did with a SLR. After using a DSLR for a while, you will come to realize what I am talking about. DSLR's like the film SLR's became a addiction for lenses and I spent a fortune on lenses. Good ones are not cheap and if you are looking for quality pictures you will have to spend the money for good ones. Even for a entry level DSLR, and with fixed lenses to equal the FZ30 range you will be spending around $3000 or more, so be prepared. If you plan on using the kit lens you get with any of the DSLR's you will be totally dissatisfied with the output. None of the kit lenses are very good at all. I just wanted you to know what you will be getting into. If money is not a problem and you have a strong sholder to carry around all the equipment, then by all means go for the DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:58 pm 
Bear740,
You make a great point. I was on a recent wildlife tour and found the DSLR owners would often miss shots while frantically changing lenses. Ironically those with bridge cameras/ point and shoots were happily clicking away and had the ability to switch to video mode for action footage.