Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 pm 
Rosslyn chapel is a tiny (and I mean REALLY tiny) chapel just south of Edinburgh in the village of Roslin. It was founded by William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness in the 15th century. It is thought that it was meant to be the choir for a much larger church but the construction stopped after Sinclair died. However, as many of you will know, what it lacks in size it makes up for in architecture and masonry. Every inch of stonework in the chapel, which was featured in the Da Vinci Code, is intricately carved with unusual figures and symbols, including many "green men" and an entire orchestra of angels. The chapel was closed in 1560 after the Scottish Reformation (when Scotland turned from Catholic to Protestant and many churches were destroyed). It then lay empty for 300 years until it was re-opened by the Victorians, who added stained glass windows and a baptistry, in 1861. The mysterious little church still remains open this day, performing regular church services as well as weddings and other events.

Sadly it is possible that there were other similar churches to Rosslyn but the reformation and English invasions by King Henry VIII and Oliver Cromwell destroyed many of the churches and cathedrals in the south of Scotland. Henry VIII's army destroyed all of the grand abbeys in the Scottish Borders, at Melrose, Jedburgh, Dryburgh and Kelso and Scotland now only has one mediaeval cathedral left. Strangely, Rosslyn Chapel was spared, and while Oliver Cromwell's army demolished Roslin castle and much of the village of Roslin, he merely used the abandoned chapel as a stable. Some people believe that Oliver Cromwell was a Freemason and that it was the chapel's links with Freemasonry which saved it.

I thought it was important that you could read some of the history of the chapel before you viewed my photos. You can read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosslyn_Chapel.

I'd also like to point out that what Dan Brown says about Rosslyn in the Da Vinci Code is almost entirely false.

I used some 'gentle' HDR on these photos to bring out some detail in some of the darker shadows and tone down the highlights a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to photograph the chapel so I don't have any shots showing the detail of the architecture in the area called the "Lady Chapel", which is behind the altar, although I might get the chance to go again sometime.

Please let me know your opinions!

Image Image

Image Image

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by calmac1991 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 pm 

Great Pictures, Disd you post process them in HDR?

Canon EF 75-300
Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash
Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod
Manfrotto 804RC2 Head

Post subject: Re: Rosslyn Chapel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:08 am 
calmac1991 wrote:
I used some 'gentle' HDR on these photos to bring out some detail in some of the darker shadows and tone down the highlights a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:10 am 
I have to admit. . . I love your first chapel in your other post a lot more :oops: .

I like 1 and 2 best, but I think they may be a tad to light.
I like you angle of 5 is good.
3 could use a bit of darkening, and it would look great.

All in all I like the look of the chapel it self, but I think the shots are to light :oops:

Mind you, this is just me, so don't take it to hard.
Best of luck to you.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm 
The problem is that Rosslyn is well lit and it's painted with a white substance whereas Orton had no lights and dark grey stone but sun was shining through the windows, which gave a much better effect. I have now darkened the shots as Nick suggested. Are they OK now? Still too light? Too dark? What do you think?

Unfortunately, it's quite likely that all our monitor's have different settings so we all see the pictures differently!

Brightness aside, do you like the photos? How about the composition?

Feedback is welcome, it's the only way I can improve!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:46 pm 
I dont think these images are birght what so ever!

2nd and the last shot are just stunning if you ask me, i dont kwn why i like them but they just seem to be work really well, they area really well balanced and the colours and tones are prefect. What settings where you using?

good job!

alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:35 am 
They look way better now!
I like 1,2, and 3.

#4 look good as well, but maybe a tad off center (the camera should to be more to the left)

I love the angle of #5. I think it works really well in this shot.

#6 I like. the angle of this works well, but hard shadow takes away from the shot.

You are very right about the computer screens.
I view everyone's photo's off a laptop it is not HD or anything fancy.

I do think you did well. Mind you these comments are just what I think.
If you or others think differently that is fine too.
These are your shots- - - What do you think about them? (both the darker and lighter shots)

May I ask if you could post a link or photo of both the lighter and darker shots of #1

Nick

Last edited by Nick12984 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:33 pm 
Here are original and darkened versions of two of the photos for you to compare. The darkening is subtle (especially in the first one) but I think it makes quite a big difference to the overall image. I think you were right, Nick, they were a bit too light and I do prefer the slightly darker ones.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:55 am 

what an incredible place, a marvel of architecture... I like the darker image, as well..

patti