Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:10 pm 
hey was just wondering if any of you guys could reccomend a camera/lense set up for taking snowboard pictures and also some tips on focusing on the rider would be much appreciated, Thanks
Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kevin, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

When it comes to any kind of action photography, you want a camera that responds quickly in terms of focusing, shutter lag and also continuous shooting. It also helps if you can get better quality at higher sensitivities, making fast shutter speeds usable.

In all these respects, a DSLR is the answer. Don't kid yourself that a superzoom or a compact will be quick enough.

Almost any DSLR will do the trick, but two great accessories to consider either now or in the future are a nice big flashgun to freeze the action and a lens with a bright focal ratio - ie f2.8 or quicker. A budget option would be a 50mm f1.8 lens.

Here's a shot I took with the Canon 400D and the 17-55mm f2.8 lens with the popup flash:

If you can get closer to the action - and I mean REALLY close, then you can get some good shots with a standard kit - although again a flashgun is invaluable.

Here's a shot I took with the Nikon D80 and the 18-70mm lens with the popup flash

So it boils down to your budget really...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:56 pm 
hey thanks allot there you helped me out a bundle :)

those photo's are excellent especially for using pop up flash as most of the guys i know taking photos down at my local ski centre's are using flash guns and also remote triggered.

anybody want to share with me what set-up they use for this and how the find it?

Thanks, great site !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:15 pm 
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/ ... CF3580.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/ ... CF3584.jpg

a couple of nite shots taken with my current fujifilm s6500 at bellahousten ski centre :)

Ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Nice shots Kevin!

I only got away with the popup flash in the first shot because I had an f2.8 lens, and in the second shot becuase I was about one meter away from the skiier! And in both cases, the sensitivity was all the way up at 1600 ISO.

So yep, an external flash, ideally remotely triggered on a pole next to the action is the way to go!

The snow's just fallen in NZ, so I hope to try some more boarding shots this season - so if I suddenly go quiet, you'll know someone's whacked me as they shoot past!

Gordon