Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm 
Camut wrote:
What's about the background? It is not, it's about the black edge. The background can make two things. It can highlight your subject or it can ruin your photo (this applies to portraits with backgrounds of course).

Camut - I didn't say the background is unimportant with portraiture. I was pointing out the fundamental issue behind the lack of impact in this second self-portrait, and that the light is the biggest factor. Granted the background isn't a good choice either, but for me the lighting here is all wrong so even with a good background, it's still not going in the right direction.

Alex, by oblique, yes, it means at an angle. Try 45 degrees as a starting point and review your image from that and then decide whether you need more or less light. Then you can fine-tune and change the angle for a recomposition.

Equipment can be a limiting factor in certain environments, but there are ways of knowing how to maximise what you have. The sodium lamp might be overkill without an umbrella or softbox. It could help but if it's shone direct at the subject, expect blown highlights without diffusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
Well, since you have time and space to take the photo, you can visualize in what part of your house you want to take the photo. Then, you have to be aware of the available light to see if you need artificial lights, flash or if you just need to open the window.

Avoid distracting objects in the background or if you can't, play with your DOF. If you need more light, try finding something reflective to bounce light back to you.

An important part is the image you have in mind and the steps you have to follow to shoot that image.

You're right about your photo. It works better in B&W.

Well... I think I'm taking vacations...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:17 pm 
If i shave that means no vacation for you!

Well i m going to have to work with what i got! the i will get my hands on the prime lens in 3 long weeks, and that is going to be intresting to test out! fully manual.

I m going to to get my hands on some carboar so i can create those reflectors, whats better tin/aluminium foil or a white coat of paint?

thanks guys great discussion feel free to keep it going, i just wanna learn :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 pm 
alex168 wrote:
I m going to to get my hands on some carboar so i can create those reflectors, whats better tin/aluminium foil or a white coat of paint?

It depends on the effect you want. I have seen in fashion shootings that sometimes they use mettalic to achieve certain effect on the model. I guess (I haven't done that yet) that you won't notice the mettalic effect if you shoot B&W, but for sure, if you use white coated surfaces you will get nice light bounce. I have seen also different color reflective surfaces to get different effects.

Did you buy your Nikon 50mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm 
Cutting a long story short, there are only 5 that you really need:

Gold: To warm up skin tones.

Silver: For hard fill in (i.e. not diffused).

White: For soft fill in (i.e. diffuse - but bounced).

White diffuser: same as above but translucent so that you hold it in front of direct light to diffuse it.

Black: enhances edge definition and 'shape'.

As for how you DIY it, that's down to improvisation. There's an email for you Alex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:49 pm 
Got the mail Ed!

The 50mm wasnt in stock even tho they told me it was in stock so i placed an order for it!

I think i can pull all of those reflectors of but the white diffuser one!

Why make a story long when you can make it short! I will take a look into these, gotta read a bit more on the strobist i guess or other blogs, does anyone have any links to some really good url's where the discussion is lightning?

thanks Ed, Camut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 pm 
You can have some fun with this: YouTube

Click the link and it will take you to some lighting videos.

Cheers