Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:49 pm 
This is as good as the other one.

I just have one comment. Now I paid more attention to little details than before. You have to take care with clipping and blowing your highlights when using your curves adjustment. The bad thing on this case is that you create a focal point just in the middle of the photo (your shirt white is blown)

But that's just a detail. The concept, framing and mood are classics. Now you can print it big BIG.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 pm 

Like the second one a lot Alex.

Well done

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:22 pm 
Sounds a bit vain but i m actualy going to get it pritned so i can have it on my wall :D

Thanks for the input guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:32 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Sounds a bit vain but i m actualy going to get it pritned so i can have it on my wall :D

It's not vain, it's art 8)

I found this place close to my office where prints are very cheap and very decent quality. I'll be printing those I consider (in my short judgement) to be my best photos so far and put them in a wall. Sometimes is very difficult to enjoy your photos on the screen!

Who knows, maybe I'll invite some friends to check my photos :P

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:12 pm 
Ok i m going for another selfportrait today! but i m wondering about the theme i should go for this time? any takers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:57 pm 
how about the classic mirror??? I have an old mirror with stains and definitely something like that adds a creepy mood... :)

street self portrait looks good too and I find it very interesting since you have to find the photo that really works...

unusual angle self portrait...

you can add color too... though is more difficult to handle moods and find the right stuff...

a tripod can help you a lot on these tasks... :)

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:02 pm 
If i would have a tripod i would be sitting here! A tripod is a golden thing for me i cannot understand that i dont ahve one yeat! working on it, but i dont knw if i want a lens or tirpod really bad. Ohh i hate choosing things!

I really like the steet theme, but that limits me when it comes to lighting, i dont really have off camera strobes that i can use! and i like to be in controll :twisted:

I m thinking of something and i want it to be really good going to go a lill crazy on the next one i think! make it really odd some how, i was thinking of making it some what normal or a photo i can show grandma, but thats just not me i like beeing artistic creative wierd and abstract when it comes to my art so i m going to go for something along those line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm 
alex168 wrote:
I really like the steet theme, but that limits me when it comes to lighting, i dont really have off camera strobes that i can use! and i like to be in controll :twisted:

Use the available light, learn how to take advantage of the different lights of your day, use long exposures and DOF. That's why I told you to use a tripod. You can get a basic one (cheap) while you save for one sturdy enough to last long.

I invite you to read THE MAN WHO SHOOTS EVERYONE where he shares few techniques and approaches when taking photos in the street. I think you can apply this to your self portrait technique when shooting outside.

I hope it's useful to you. Let us see what you have in mind :)

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:02 pm 
That was a good read i have to try that, i want a fast lens i really do! and he doesnt use a tripod i gotta work on handholding then! but i guess its alot easier to shoot others then shooting urself!

I quited like that article and his idea of his work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:01 pm 
Well yeah i ended up doing another studio shot, but when i wanted to go "bigger" so to speak again it didnt really work out as a great as it did when i was all coudled up toghter! Still doing the shots in black and white because i feel that is just the way to go! plus the lighting again was an issue, the sun from the back and the 3 lights from the front, which didnt do that much really as you can see in the photo.

Shot at 18mm again, looks a bit od but i what can i do! i got no remote i got nothing, i got my camera and thats it :)

Honeslty this one didnt come out as a good as the other one.

So to make it a tad more intresting i decided to give it a lill heavier post processing which helped a bit but its just not the same hehe! I feel quite disapointed honestly, pulled that great shot of and now i cant seem to do it agian. I was just wondernig what you guys where thinking?

i do like the interactionn of the skateboard, and i ended up going coving most of my face this time because i hadnt shaved and could be bothred to do so :) plus it was one fo those bad hair days, yeah i got long hair and when you have long hair you have those days.

if ur wondering why the hat: i love hats, i wear them quite often i find them really comforable, and they are just classic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:16 pm 

This second shot is very nice! Admitted I also liked the other one better, but this is still very classy! Perhaps you could do a mini-guide on selfportrait :)
I'd be very interested to try some shots like this out myself!
PS; that was a good read indeed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 pm 
man, the black stuff around you doesn't look good...

Give your background a chance :)

The look and the mood is fine again, PP gives the photo something else but definitely the issue is that black edge.

Come on, you can do way better... :) You did it before...

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:39 pm 
Your instincts are right in that it isn't as good as your first, and you've identified the reason behind it (it's not your background that's the issue, though it could be better) but the key is lighting.

Shooting into the sun is always a rubbish idea when you've not got strong enough lighting to counter the backlighting, so you're almost certain of getting shadows everywhere on your subject.

Did you try the same self portrait but oblique to the sun to light one half of you?

Secondary issues are the lack of tripod and the background, but the issue with this one (and why it isn't as good as your previous one) is the lighting.

Light is the be and end-all with portraiture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 pm 
Photoj wrote:
Your instincts are right in that it isn't as good as your first, and you've identified the reason behind it (it's not your background that's the issue, though it could be better) but the key is lightning

Since you're totally right about lightning, there is something I don't agree with.

When you're shooting portraits, your subject is the main reason of the photo. You can have (I've seen them) a winner photo with flaws in lightning, but framing and focal points are critical to the portrait. If you create a diversion from your subject, then the photo is not about your subject anymore.

What's about the background? It is not, it's about the black edge. The background can make two things. It can highlight your subject or it can ruin your photo (this applies to portraits with backgrounds of course).

This photo, by itself, could be a dark photo from the movie Sin City. It has the mood, it even has the lighting technique close to solarizing, blowing highlights, so for me, without the black edge, could be a very decent personal photo.

The black edge creates an unnecesary tension. Why I said so about the background? Maybe without the black edge could have worked better.

But then again, photography enters the realm of personal choice and taste.

Alex, shave man!!! :P

Cheers

Last edited by Camut on Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:09 pm 
Well the sun was not directly behind me, i took the image around 19 00 and the sun goes down at 20 00. And i knw shooting into the sun isnt the greates idea!

I guess i was just egeer to take photos, but as i moving further away and shooting bigger things the lighting becomes quite the key issue.

Give my background a chance i sure can try that! so i decided to show you how the background looks in real terms, and show you how the shot came out form the camera with just a lill decreasing in the clarance in camera raw.

light and portrature go hand in had that is a defenit for me! i guess sometimes you cannot just do with what you got! On the other had i do have a 400W HPS (high pressure sodium) lamp that looks like the sun maybe i can try to use this one, but i have no idea how i would use it as its soo strong i can pretty much light up the entire back yard with this lamp, we use it to grow basil/tomatoes/paprika/chili/cucumber all year around...

Ed, i m not 100 sure what oblique means but i m guessing by the senatance that it means that the sun would be hiting me of as a profile right? please correct me if i m wrong, my english isnt native

EDIT: in that shot you can see the lights and thier postion :)