Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:13 am 
Well this was shot when taking the Torso shot as well, friday! just been playing around with it a bit decideded to go for some selective colouring.

Now this is the sort of compistion you were talking about in the other shot Ed? I really like how the lines play in this shot!

comments are more then welcome! feels as if latley i m having one on ones with Jake and Ed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 am 
Nice image Alex. :) I think it would look better if you only selected one colour, for example: "polis". I know that there's no rule when it comes to these kind of images, I just think it would work well for this particular one.

Interesting...police is also spelt "polis" over here. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 pm 
I tried that, jsut didnt like it wanted the whole car and the pole some how feelt most natural to me, and i did a very stupid thing i saved over the orignal file so now i cant really go back and change it! ARG!!

police is something that doesnt vary alot from country to country!

but i didnt knw that it was the exact same thing over there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:29 pm 

I like it, but I'd go into photoshop, this might not look right, but its worth a try, go into photoshop and add a lens flare on both of the lights, and theres different shapes I'd go with a circle so it looks like the lights are flashing.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:50 pm 
What matters is that you like the final image! :)

alex168 wrote:
I tried that, jsut didnt like it wanted the whole car and the pole some how feelt most natural to me, and i did a very stupid thing i saved over the orignal file so now i cant really go back and change it! ARG!!

police is something that doesnt vary alot from country to country!

but i didnt knw that it was the exact same thing over there :D

I'm sorta paranoid about doing something like that lol. I only open my images from Lightroom and export into PS from there. This way I can edit a copy of the original and I don't even need Lightroom open to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 pm 
Jake well i didnt want to make the image to post processed, and i knw what u mean but i never really been a big fan of that! but i m going to give it a try!

Well i usualy dont have a problem honestly i dont knw what i was thinking, i have plenty of room on the drive and harddrives, everytime you open the shot in PS at least its this way for me and i m going to save it as jpeg it creates a copy of the orignal shot, but i think i must have done something stupid haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:46 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Nice image Alex. :) I think it would look better if you only selected one colour, for example: "polis". I know that there's no rule when it comes to these kind of images, I just think it would work well for this particular one.

Interesting...police is also spelt "polis" over here. :)

I had an interesting discussion on another thread regarding selective colouring - two colours really doesn't work unless kept to one entire object. I side with Grahamnp's thought.

As for the composition, better in that you've now opened the width, but for this one I'd have done it differently - it's a lopsided balance, and there's more contrast on the left because of the wall. What I would have done would be to stand in front of the "polis" van and taken an image there with it in baing in the centre, and I'd be at hip level so that I can give the impression of a towering vehicle as well as capturing the two different textures of the pavement and road. Those do make interesting lines, and you have made use of them.

Overall though, can't really fault the composition too much bar the unavoidable post and sign. That could be cloned out given a bit of time, but I'd advise against it - the image isn't really worth the time to recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:02 pm 
That would be intresting, there are police cars parked all the time at this place so i might return and take one as you stated! This is one of those take out the camera place it on A and just snap and see how it looked!

It was quite boring from the start and i just wanted to tad it up a bit! Honestly when it comes to selective colours it is really hard, i seen situations where it really works and other where its just doesnt!

Personaly i think its much easier to critque other peoples shots then my own, some how i see it from a diffrent perspective its hard to explain. So that is why i post them on the web so i can get a diffrnet oppinon which is much apericated always

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:12 pm 
alex168 wrote:
Personaly i think its much easier to critque other peoples shots then my own, some how i see it from a diffrent perspective its hard to explain. So that is why i post them on the web so i can get a diffrnet oppinon which is much apericated always

It all comes down to experience. When you find your eye for composition behind the camera, then your success ratio goes up.