Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 am 
I mean i think all you will need is some bamboo sticl or something plastic even tho bamboo is great, its a pretty strong material that can be pent, used to make kits out of bamboo when i was younger! But when it comes to the fabric that is going to be an issue, i just gotta find out what th fabric is, i guess i plane white sheet would do the job of reflecting soft light, but stronger siler/gold can be a bit more tricky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:23 pm 
Welcome! I ended up doing another shot jsut a couple of minutes ago, did the set up really simple and found another light this time which sure did help a tad but not that much, it wasnt working great, its needs a bulb change that for sure!

here is the shot i whent for today:

and here is the setup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:18 pm 

Alex, what do you want to make? You go from a flash cable to bambo poles? Nice new shoots btw.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 pm 
I m the type of guy that gather new projects all the time, bamboo sticks would be for the reflectors which in that shot would have been great it would have lit up the interior of the bottle....i m going to get one of those external cables for my flash so i can use it of camera...

i dont kwn i m juggeling alot of balls in the air right now, suddenly i got into making illustrations and thinking about ads shot and whot not. My thoughts are really all over the place Jake! i dont even knw myself, but t he bamboo thing is allready set, i got about 5 cicrles or of made of bamboo, the frame so to speak, now i gotta find out where i got a hold of the material to use. I thinking of hitting the dumpster this weekend see if i can find some old white sheets.

Bottom line: i m cheap :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:41 pm 
Aluminium foil works as a simple silver reflector, and as for white, a clean white muslin will do.

Off-camera flash is useful, but I think it would be a mistake to focus a large amount of time with flashgun work without a tripod. The off-camera flash gives you different angles of light to work with, but nothing beyond what your desklamps are giving you at the moment.

I know you started a new thread on secondhand tripods. You could be better off with a new tripod - just make sure you find one that is sturdy. The choice of head is less important when you're attempting studio work from the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:02 am 
Offtopic: Ed, now were back to where i started, a whole new era for me to discover. As i have previously stated serveral times i dont have a huge budget, that made me think of a secon hand tripod. And i sure do want a sturdy tripod but i dont want to only use it for my "home studio" so to speak, i also want to bring out wiht me for my lanscape shots so i can bump things up to f22 or soemthing along those lines.....

I was looking at thre recent manfrotto review and it sure does sounds intresting but the con for me is that it will only hold about 1kg of equipment, if was to mount a SB 600 and the current lens and body that surpases that limit, thus the tripod wont be sturdy. The "head" of the tripod can alwasy be changed while the main structure is what makes the diff, sort of like a camera and its body.

Ed, i m looking for recomadtions, tips tricks you name it cheap good sturdy tripod that will help me out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 am 

Alex, I always have ideas all over the place, like right now I want to build a magic arm from pvc and need to find a new lightstand and I have my 19" monitor covered in sticky notes of shots to take and things to do. But for reflectors I have a couple pieces of foam board covered in foil, and they work just fine, and they're super cheap. Or just cardboard with tin foil on it. If your interested in making a diffuser/softbox like thing, try covering your bamboo frames in rip-stop nylon (white, of course)

Remember, http://www.diyphotography.net/, has some awesome, awesome, awesome DIY super cheap projects. I got the design for my backdrop stand there, and the most expensive part of the stand was the 4 way connectors at $2.00usd a piece. You'd be surprised.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 am 
Thats is a site i check daily to get ideas. They got some really good stufff over there! its just funny too see how much you can just make at home. On the other hand finding stuff that they use on the site can be quite hard, as all of that stuff has to be translated and sometimes i do not knw what it is called in Swedish. I heard silk might work work as well as a difuser? But nylon seems to be the material the use on the studio softboxes right

Back on topic! I m going to see if i can get a diffrent setup today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:53 am 
alex168 wrote:
Offtopic...

I was looking at thre recent manfrotto review and it sure does sounds intresting but the con for me is that it will only hold about 1kg of equipment, if was to mount a SB 600 and the current lens and body that surpases that limit, thus the tripod wont be sturdy. The "head" of the tripod can alwasy be changed while the main structure is what makes the diff, sort of like a camera and its body.

Ed, i m looking for recomadtions, tips tricks you name it cheap good sturdy tripod that will help me out!

Take a look at the Calumet range of tripods. There budget one can be found here on their US site.

Their entire range of tripods are made for them by Bogen/Manfrotto, so you get similar sturdiness for less, and you can share things like camera plates. Plus even this tripod, the legs and head can be separated, so you can "upgrade" in the future.

Essentially you should try a tripod out in person to see if it's sturdy enough for what you'll be doing. If you're going to dedicate this tripod to studio work, then you don't have to worry much about weight issues.

Final thought: be careful at f22 - diffraction occurs and will tarnish IQ. I try to stay within the range of f11-16 if I want front-to-back sharpness. Of course this will vary with lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:33 pm 
I did a new session today but played around with the EV on the RAW file and this is what i ended up with

P.S YES I M A TRUE GAMER :D

what do you guys think i quite like it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 am 
There is a new photo lads, comments are needed as i m taking this to the bigger lvl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:50 am 
Haha. A little impatient are we? And what is this bigger level?

Well definitely a step in the right direction. Did you crop this so that the controller is partially cut off, or was it framed like that in the viewfinder? Either way, the image works for me.

And if it's to go by your previous equipment, not bad without a tripod. 1/60 at 55mm definitely cured your trademark shake.

PS. I'm sure you'd also want to welcome comments from the ladies as well as the "lads".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:54 am 

the controller of a seasoned vet, huh? should have had the head set in there too, but it works for me, like the framing and the lighting. Whats your plan for a moving to a larger scale?

my Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:51 am 
I m a very inpatient man, i cant wait around long hours and when i have nothing to do i try to come up with new things to shoot! The bigger level, was supposed to mean bigger objects. The objects i have been shoting the pills, the effeil tower and the watch havent been bigger then 5cm.

This remote is about 12cmx10cm so its rather bigger. I didnt crop this image just on the far right side because it was a pure black spot, i wanted to go for this precis angel because it was the angel that was most appealing to me, i tried other ones from the other side but somehow the bottoms work great in the position that they currently are.

Working with 2 lights again, no tripod but playing around with the shutter speed to get the darkening effect on the controller. Ed, i dont think i can pull of my trademark shake on photos like these, which is good.

Lads, and ladies are more then welcome to comment :D

Jake, throwing in a headset, yeah could have worked but i just dont have one so i couldnt get it in there.

These past few days i been working with some sketches, and actualy reading up alot of physics and light relfection as well as refraction, getting to knw diffrent matrieals. I m going to try to shoot an image with the light passing through a water container before hand and see how this results play on the subject. As well as i m going to try to move to portrait photography, but here i will def notice that i m going to be some what limited when it comes to my lens!

thanks guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm 

alex168 wrote:
I m going to try to shoot an image with the light passing through a water container before hand and see how this results play on the subject.

That will make a cool image! You might want to fire your strobe through the water.

alex168 wrote:
As well as i m going to try to move to portrait photography, but here i will def notice that i m going to be some what limited when it comes to my lens!

If you want to buy a new lens, the Nikon 60mm F/2.8 (the new ED version) and the nikon 85mm F/1.8 are both nice lenses for portraits, or use the 18-55 at 55.

my Blog