Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Turning Torso - sectiosn
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:17 pm 
I love architecture wanted to become an arquitect myself but didnt have the grades to get into university here in Sweden, so after a few though about i droped it of and when to study economics! But anywho noting i regret now i just walk enjoying it! There is this builiding called Turning Torso which was drawn/design by a spaish Architect by the name of "Clatrava" and this building is the tallest one in Scandinavia and i really like it! Google some shots to see the whole building itself, my 18mm didnt cover it so i whent for some sections shots instead!

here is the it going up a nice section of the building

and here is the baste of the building itself, it has a really nice lobby! i got to go up to the 12th floor and i have been on the 24th floor but working my way to get to the 54th or 52nd floor so i can get some night shots of malmö!

yeah i didnt get a "perfect" shot of these but did some PS to "hide" it so to speak, my hand shake is sill present in the base shot...gotta work on that :)

EDIT: i tried to go for the same colours in PS but it didnt work out THAT well but it ok :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:35 pm 
I like the fact you've gone and taken sections of the building when you realised the limitation of the lens you had. I like the 2nd image more because of the stronger lines captured there, and the composition is balanced.

This mild handshake to your photography gives a fresh look (and could be your photography style) - I've already commented on that in another of your threads. If you want me to go all technical, here's why you're getting the handshake: your shutter speed. If we take the 2nd image, you shot that at 48mm but with 1/8s exposure time. By reciprocals, you would be looking at 1/50s as a minimum to reduce handshake. You selected AP to control your aperture to f22, keeping front to back sharpness and a deep DoF, but this meant you had to hold a longer exposure time, hence the 1/8 and mild handshake. If you wanted to keep it at f22, then bump up the ISO from 100 to, let's say 250. That might have moved your exposure time closer to 1/30. At 1/30 I think you'll be able to control your handshake, because at the moment from your results at 1/8, I can see you do hold it well.

Briefly on the 1st image, there's no focal point. I'd have like the structure on the edge of the left frame to be a little further in and would have used that, and where the other beams merge together as a focus.

Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm 
Yes you have commend on my hand shake and i m thinking that it could be my photography style, its surely comes form me wanting to keep the ISO at 100 all the time, i m a noise paranoid to tell you the turth! Yes taht is the problem i really wanted to have a deep DOF on these images, thuse i have to have it on f22, f18 f20 isnt the same thing. I can hand hold my camera without getting an bluryness for sure from 1/50 that is for sure! i m not reallyl 100% about 1/30 but it sure would help ALOT!

Concearing the 2nd image, you mean moving the whole thing a bit the left? Well i did think about it but the sky was dull and boring!

Do you have comments on the post processing do you think it works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:40 pm 
I can't comment too much on the PP as I don't know what the originals look like, but whatever you've done hasn't made your images unnatural.

It's concerning the 1st image that could do with a slight composition. Moving it to the left to get a bit of air in the frame, and then placing 2/3rd up the frame the location where the beams intersect.

If you bump up the ISO to 250, I doubt you'll notice much difference in noise; the faster shutter speeds it gives you when you shoot at f22 will be beneficial when you want sharp images.

Again I understand the need for f22, but I try to avoid using it on handholding - f11-16 is my handholding limit before diffraction (and handshake) become issues I don't want to fight. With a tripod, then I can keep a low ISO and the long shutter time with such a small aperture size and f22 is a possibility. Also the effect of f22 will be different according to lenses. For example, ultra-wides give deeper depth of field.