Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:34 am 
Ok here is the story, my Father wants me to take pictures of his model train set that we can submit to some train magazines. I took this picture handled just to get an idea of what some might look like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brate/2400181608/
D40
66mm
F/11
1/25 second
ISO-1600
Manual Mode

I did not want a lot of DoF and I did want a darker image.
What is your advice for this kind of picture.

Last edited by Brate on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:36 am 
I like that look a lot, could do with being a bit bigger though any chance of uploading one so we can see a bit more detail please? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:42 am 
Yes I edited the original post with a link to the picture in my flickr account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 am 
That's better :)

I really like that image, the only thing that springs to mind is I cannot see where the light would be coming from to illuminate the lady in blue and the child in red and I feel they are a bit far away, is there some way that light could be toned down a bit? Other than that I really like it, the shadows cast on the other people give some real depth to the picture.

Nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:51 am 
I'm not sure if the lights on his set a on a dimmer switch I would have to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:46 pm 
Hmm.. i actually dont like this extremely dark look i think it needs a brighter look to it.. and it may look very cool with light added from the side of the train that matches the lamps next to the train to give it a nice glow.. i see what you were trying but i just dont like the effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:01 pm 
A field day on this one...where to begin? It's not a pretty image, though the effort put into it can be seen.

A tripod really is a starting point to reduce the handshake, and then you can lower your ISO. It's a fairly noisy image, especially when you aim to shoot shadows.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "did not want a lot of DoF" and then ended up using f11. Are you saying to want a shorter DoF or front-to-back sharpness?

Composition-wise, it lacks a focal point and has a little too much going on despite the darkness. I'll suggest an improvement below.

You really need to work on lighting, and for me, I'd like to see some of the train rather than all shadows. If you can replicate a dusk setting, then that would be perfect. How to do this? Well go to an art shop/photography store and find a blue gel. Place the blue gel onto the front of a lamp (make sure the bulb doesn't touch the gel) and then you'll end up with a blue lighting. Keep the light at a fair distance from the train and you can replicate a little moonlight.

Now with the moonlight effect, keep the same compositional layout, but reduce your aperture to the smallest it can be. Have the lamp behind and above you so it's shining down onto the head of the train. Make the train the focal point and the short DoF will reduce the background so that there is a clear subject. Just make sure the DoF isn't too short that you lose all grasp of the background models.

Good luck with the submissions. Thanks for sharing your image with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:37 pm 
Thanks photoj the thing with the lighting was exactly what i was getting at.. although i didnt think moonlight but that would work to.