Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 pm 
hey people,

next Friday i will be doing photography with my scouts, teaching them how to take better photo's and learn how to use their camera for their photography badge.

so Ive made a plan of how I'm going to do it,

week one - inside portraiture photography / learn how to use your camera

week two - landscape and urban photography

week three - flowers and macro photography

week four - final examination. Small test on parts of the camera and how it works and a small slide show to see what they have done during the past few weeks.

but...

I'm not one for portraiture photography but i do like it and i can get pretty good results.. so I'm looking for a minimalistic set up for portraits.

i do have a flash gun with green, red, white and purple filters,
i think i have a projection screen in the attic somewhere,
my uncle has a soft box and a few small coloured drops might have some foils too,
i have a tripod
and a camera of course =P

now we might be doing it in the hall which is fluorescent flood lights and then outside the hall its fluorescent lighting too which might pose a problem i don't know.

also what shutter speeds etc should i be using as well cause i will be dealing with unpredictable hyper kids then they will be picking a partner to take photos as well so... they'll be holding my camera if not theirs (god forbid..)

thanks people for taking your time to read this =D

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:12 pm 
That's a nice little project you've got yourself.

There's a lot involved in mastering studio photography (and I'm not even there yet!) Make sure it isn't too complex overall; to keep things simple here are my pointers for the 1st session's portraiture:

Fluorescent lighting could affect the WB, but that will be dependent on what your flashgun (is this an on camera flash or studio head?) and any additional lighting/reflectors that you choose to use. What time of day will this be? If it's day time, switch off the lights and use natural light from the windows. If night, then all you can do is adjust your WB temperature to accommodate for the lighting.

Keeping it simple, one light and a reflector should be sufficient. The projector screen will work as a backdrop - if it's pure white, you can use it to dial your WB correctly. As it's a beginner's course, don't worry too much about technicalities with the studio set up such as light to subject distances and angles of light.

Don't worry about shutter speeds. Keep to the reciprocal rule as a starting point for simplicity. If your lighting's right, it shouldn't be an issue.

I wish you luck in getting your scouts interested in photography.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:47 pm 
hey,

thanks for the reply =D yes its hard to get the scouts into new things bt hey something for them to try out and do thanks photoj

andrew