Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 pm 

I have the 2690 WUXI. Be aware: it only performs well in a color-managed environment. If you surf the web and use MS Windows ... any color will look completely oversaturated. This is because of the wide gamut. If you switch to the sRGB mode colors will still look like cr*p because the NEC's sRGB mode is so poorly implemented. I still like this monitor very much. But you should know about this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:21 pm 

Yeah, the NEC's certainly a compelling offer.
How do you then view your pictures (which software, what settings)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:41 pm 

Viewing my own pictures is no problem. I have PS CS3, Lightroom and almost every other raw converter. They are all color-managed.

The monitor itself is hardware calibrated with Eye One Display II + NEC Spectraview II Software.

"Only" surfing in the internet etc. does not work very well because Windows-compatible browsers do not support color management and also web photos frequently do not have a color profile. What you can do is the following: switch to sRGB mode and calibrate the monitor via the graphics card LUT (it's a bad way of calibration...I know). Then the web photos look o.k. But you will always need to change the color profile if you want to use the native gamut and a color-managed program. That's totally inconvenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:12 pm 

After testing a Fujitsu Siemens 24" HD-display that looked good in the office I found that colors and contrast is totally overboard and could not really be adjusted without losing faith in the color reproduction.
I finally ordered the NEC 2690WUXI (16:10) to be closer to the camformat (15:10) and the 16:9 of the telly.
I will crop now all landscape images to 16:10 so lose only little on the original and the TV, but have 100% fit on the monitor.
For portrait I'll test my trusty old NEC 2180UX as a secondary monitor in upright orientation (2:3). If multimonitor setup is not working easily, I'll ditch that and crop portraits to 4:5 (guess where that idea came from :wink: ).
Hope to report back next week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 pm 

Just a quick report back:
- Have the monitor set up and the NEC 2180 side-by-side in portrait-orientation on extended desktop.
- Have the 2690 on 10% (!) brightness and 50% contrast and the 2180 on 45% brightness and 50% contrast. Both disply grey-scale very good.
- Green seems to be much stronger on the 2690, whereas the 2180 (now three years old displays a red-ish and in the same time a little colder hue.
- Both monitors are set to "original colors"
- Some things in extended desktop don't work properly e.g. some full-frame display cannot be switched to the other monitor and esp. no software auto-displays a portrait on one and a landscape on the other monitor :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:40 am 

Just another update:

It was becoming a real pain in the ... neck. The 2690 was sitting at least 8cm above the desk, because the "foot" did not allow the monitor to be pushed further down. So the upper border of the picture was sitting around 45cm above the desk. Too much for my neck.
Now I've mounted the foot of the NEC 2180 to the 2690 and it's riding approx. 5 cm lower, the lower frame only 3cm above the desk. That doesn't sound too much but it's a real relief on my neck.

How you do this? Well the foot of the 2690 is easy to take off, not even need a screw-driver there. Below the mounting mechanism there are the standard holes for VESA 100 mounting, which is all that the 2180-foot could do. So I screwed the 2180-foot to the 2690 and was done!
Unfortunately the 2690-foot with its special mounting cannot be attached to the 2180 and is now sitting idly in the monitor carton.
Btw. the 2690 can still be turned to portrait-mmode on the 2180-foot although you have to tilt the panel a little.

You can order the 2180-foot as a spare part and in Germany it's around 50€. Be aware though that such handy-work may void your guaranty...