Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Japanese Compatability
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:17 pm 

Hi Gordon and co!

Just thougt of a fairly essential question I should have asked earlier- is it ok to buy a Japanese Nikon D40, when at some point I will be taking it back to the UK? Are there any issues about where I buy the camera?

Thanks!

Post subject: Japanese Compatability
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:58 pm 

Not sure what the situation is regarding relief from local taxation on your purchase so you need to do a bit of research about that.

Make sure your purchase is covered by an international warranty and don't be tempted to save yourself the import duty and VAT when you return to the EU!!!

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 pm 

Isn't the import duty only for cases where you take the originally packed unused camera with you? If you unpack it and have it used already, you cannot sell it as a new product - thus no taxes?!

Post subject: No taxes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm 

Hi Tom,

I think you will find that the definition of "used" is down to Customs & Excise here in the UK. One thing for sure, if you don't declare it and then subsequently re-import it after a holiday they will have serious questions to answer as the camera's serial number will not have been recorded.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve, technically speaking, the only part which is likely to be different is the charger. If you're lucky, the Japanese version will be sold with a charger which can adapt between 120 and 240v, and which has a socket for a mains lead. If this is the case, you can simply connect a UK mains lead (or use an adaper for your Japanese one) and you'll be off.

In terms of tax, Bob's right in that the UK authorities have the final say, but generally speaking they don't seem to be bothered about anything that's been used for more than 6 months and obviously ins't brand new.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:15 pm 

Sling it around you neck and take it as carry-on. They'll never know.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:12 am 
Not sure about this, but the default language on your camera will probably be Japanese - you can change the language afterwards though. Plus, if there is another firmware update, you might be forced to download the Japanese version...

Make sure you get a warranty that is recognized in the UK.

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:23 pm 

The D40 kit lens has a worldwide warranty, but the body only in Japan. I will be living in Japan for at least another year- but is the warranty valid for "life"?

If so I guess I may have a problem in the future.

What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Most Nikon warranties are for the country of origin for the DSLR body, or worldwide for the lens. I don't know why!

So that's the risk you'll need to weigh-up when buying a Nikon DSLR body abroad.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:25 am 

Do you really think Nikon would reject camera service in another country. With the modern world relocation as a quite normal thing...
So far I've only heard good things about Nikon service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:32 am 
Site Admin

I wish that were the case, but most companies are more localised than you'd think. It's of course worth a shot, but if I had a warranty which specifically stated it was only valid in Japan, I'd be surprised if the UK or US office would accept it.

The weird thing is Nikon does offer worldwide guarentees for its lenses - just not the digital bodies...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:56 am 

Well I've already bought my D40 and am very happy with it. Importing a UK model would have cost significantly more, and I guess I'll cross the warranty bridge when I come to it- what does it specifically mean, that if the camera breaks in the UK I won't be able to have it repaired? Is that likely to happen? I mean, if its involved in an unfortunate accident surely insurance would cover it.

Having said all this, I know very little about warranties, insurance and other related matters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Admin

You'll still be able to get it repaired anywhere, but outside of Japan, you or your insurance will be paying for it.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:10 pm 

Don't bother too much. Just go shooting and have fun!