Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 am 

Well i need something for my camera for long exposures. And since its my birthday soon i might get some money to buy one.
But i'm not quite sure which to go for, so i thought i'd ask for ur opinion first :)
So what do you think, what is the pros and cons of the different?

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:47 pm 
Portability, in this order: gorillapod/monopod(tie) ->tripod
Stability: tripod, gorillapod, monopod

I dunno about you, but unless I was going somewhere specifically to take photos, I wouldn't bring a tripod. It's just too much trouble to take around on , for example, holidays that I wouldn't really get to enjoy anything else, unless of course taking shots is all you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

How long are your 'long exposures'? If you're talking several seconds or more, then a tripod is the only way to go. I've found the Gorillapods can shift a little and of course a monopod will fall over on its one leg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:50 am 

Thanks for the replies. Long exposures can cover everything from ~0.5-1 sec and all the way up to 30+ sec nightshots. I really would like to be able to do it all.
Gorden does that go for all the Gorillapods?

Canon EOS 400D + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8
My Photos - My webpage (danish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi Jake,

With apologies to the regulars which have seen this link before, but one article I have found very useful is Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan. The only downside to the article, and its implication of how much money should be spent, is that I'm still not much nearer my own decision. :? :(

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm 

Bob, that article is downright frightening! I know it's probably true, but still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm 
I've given up on the thought of using a tripod alltogether to be honest. I dont do super long exposures, but as far as night shots go, i either increase the iso or use my 70-300 with vr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 am 

I had the same quandry for some time. I take mostly landscape shots as well as a fair amound of buildings/architecture etc. I also like to go hillwalking and mountaineering and I travel quite a bit and so wanted portability as well as stability, however I came to the conclusion that really these are mutually exclusive properties.

I dismissed monopods pretty early on as a bit pointless. You may as well brace yourself against an inanimate object or place your camera on a post or rock or wall etc. to get the steadyness required for exposures in difficult light. I toyed with the idea of a Gorillapod SLR Zoom (the only Gorillapod suitable for SLRs in my opinion) but found that it was pretty bulky and not the sort of thing I would want to throw in my camerabag if I wanted to travel light.

I ended up with a proper tripod for use with my SLR as it was the only kit that would guarantee the levels of stability I wanted for long exposures. For travel and hillwalking I very often stuff my compact camera into my rucsac and in those circumstances a little table-top tripod or beanbag is as good as anything.....and much cheaper than a Gorillapod.

Flickr