Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:22 pm 
Hi All,

New here and this is my first post, recently (yesterday) purchased a Canon 40D and have been playing about with it a bit (bad back so not very mobile at the moment but trying hard :twisted: ).

I am very new to Digital photography but used to do a bit of film shooting quite a few years ago now, so thought I would ask for some feedback on an image that I took earlier with the new equipment

The shot was taken with an 80-200 lens and there was some exposure compensation and manual settings (cannot remember exactly what but I took about 4 or 5 shots of this with different settings and this was my favorite, there is no post processing on this image at all and it's straight off the camera). EDIT: I did crop the image, sorry

Look forward to hearing constructive criticism and thoughts on the pic :D

Thanks
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm 

Hi Mark, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
-> You got nice eqipment :)
-> You mastered posting a pic in one go :D
-> Keep trying hard (to play around a little more) 8)
As to your image:
- The background looks a little sterile to me :?
- The sharpness seemed to have suffered from the cropping :?
- It's an interesting object, but not captured in way that fits my limited attention span :?

Sorry to be so unenthusiastic about your first pic, but as I said:
Keep trying hard, and get your bad back back to good soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:37 pm 
Thanks for the comments :)

Yes I fully intend to keep playing around I'm loving every minute I can get to with the new equipement.

The background was just a leather briefcase laying on its side, my thinking was that the really busy subject would not suit anything but a plain backdrop but will have a play around and see what I can come up with.

The drop in sharpness was probably more due to resizing which I failed to mention above, I could put the full size image up but at a little over 2.5mb thought it probably best to reduce it a bit heh!

I was actually blown away by the detail captured in the original and to say I am impressed by the 40D is an understatement, hopefully my photography will improve and looking through the forum there seems to be some amazing advice which I am sure will help me take better pictures :)

Actually Thomas could you tell me how you would have set the shot had you been taking it? i.e the type of background etc that you might have chosen.

Again thanks for commenting and the welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:05 pm 

Well it's hard make "another" picture in theory. But I love to shoot these objects in their natural surrounding e.g. on green moss.
And as I love patterns I would have tried (perhaps) to capture the cone from the top in slightly out of centre fashion. The question for me is then: How much dof would be best for the shot?

But you should wait, unitl others have posted their feedback. Maybe, I'm totally off...