Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Double stabilisation?
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 am 

Suppose one were to attach a Leica Image Stabilised lens from the newish Panasonic DMC-L1 SLR onto the new Olympus E510 with sensor-based IS. Would this provide super-stabilisation; the ability to take hand-held shots of say one second duration?! I somehow doubt that it would work, but it seems to be a question worth asking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi Gigabloke, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

That's a great question, although I suspect there may actually be some detrimental effect of two different stabilisation systems operating at the same time... Sadly if I asked Olympus it would probably say it couldn't comment on another manufacturer's lens, and conversely, Panasonic would unlikely comment on another manufacturer's body. So the only true way to tell would be to try it for ourselves! I'll see if I can get hold of the lens again when I get the E-510 in for testing...

Gordon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:00 am 

"I'll see if I can get hold of the lens again when I get the E-510 in for testing... "

I was hoping you would say that! It will indeed be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks to you also for a fantastic website. You do a great job.

Warm regards,
Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:32 am 
any dates set on that one gord?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys - and welcome to the Cameralabs forums Red Royalty!

All I can say concerning the E-510 is I'll make it a priority once I get hold of one!

I do have some news concerning the use of the E-510 with the Leica stabilised lens though... I asked both Panasonic and Olympus and while there were some differences in their explanations of what was going on behind the scenes, the conclusion was you couldn't have both running at the same time - either due to the two systems conflicting, or the CCD sysem in the E-510 taking priority if both were activated.

In the meantime, feel free to analyse our E-410 image quality results as the E-510 has the same sensor, and is likely to have the same image processing too... so I wouldn't expect many differences between them in this respect...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys, as promised, I tried the Leica lens on the E-510 and this is what happened...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... 50mm.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:20 am 

[quote="Gordon Laing"]Hi guys, as promised, I tried the Leica lens on the E-510 and this is what happened...

Awesome Gordon! That is a perfect demonstration. I appreciate your responsiveness on this question, I only asked about it 5 weeks ago.

It's a pity the 2 systems do not cooperate. Now it's up to Leica, Olympus and Panasonic to make it all work together. It would surely sell more cameras and lenses for all parties concerned...

Best regards,
Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:04 am 
Site Admin

No worries Max, glad to be of service!

Gordon