Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: soft lighting?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:08 pm 

how do you make the light in your pictures softer
i dont know if i can really explain it but this pic has got kida soft light but not rewally does anone know what i mean

pic:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 pm 

I think what you're looking for is a light tent like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180204408603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008. They're quite cheap, and although I haven't used one before, the idea is that the white cloth it's made of diffuses the light falling on the subject and makes it softer. You would place the object inside, along with a coloured backdrop (if you wanted one) and then shine a desk lamp or something through the side of the light tent. If you don't want to put the subject inside a light tent, you can hold a sheet of white cloth or paper in front of the light source (e.g. your camera's flash) to soften it. I believe a reflector (a proper one or just some tin foil) placed on the other side of the object from the light source would help as well. I hope that helped!

NB: This is all theoretical - I haven't actually tried any of it yet!

http://www.calummacnab.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:24 pm 

haha that sounds quite ood but i want it for like outdoor pictures to soften them upwould i have to photoshop them or could i get smething special for that?

heres a pic i like it but its abit to err i cant say hard but its like abit to rough? if thatmakes any sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:10 am 

i shoot with a nikon d60 for my shots...i use the REAR FLASH setting to create the softer tone.

Post subject: Re: soft lighting?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:51 am 

how about using a flash diffuser? I use SBM Supreme Light Diffuser for the Canon 430EX Flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:59 am 

Yeah i use the unbuilt difuser on my Sb 600, and if i think the light is too strong i pop one of those barf bags on from the airplane (plane white ones) with nothing on it and it difuses the light really good, just aim it flash up high and you will get a very nice result. There is alot of way to defuse light

there are softboxes, umbrellas reflectors everything snooks the list goes on and on, its really only your creativitly holding you back but i think that the link that calmac gave you is more of what i think your looking for, the other stuff from what i have read and seen in use is quite pro and costs alot fo cash :D and you will often need one of those transmittors for the flash (or a slave or something along those lines. slaved is flashterminology for a plugin that fires of the the flash when it notices other flashes in use)

peace

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm 

Does anybody knw what type of "cloth" nylon that is on that link to ebay that calmac1991 posted, i m recenlty (today) put a base for that after looking into, it didnt seem to be so hard, i used good old wood to create the frame and then now when it comes to the cloth i m a bit "uhh what to use" i m thinking about just putting plane old white printer papper but i dont think that will last? any suggestions?

maybe thislink might help you and this one but note that you will need some need some pretty heavy flash gear

thislink might help you too

or try doing some searches here some great stuff here, most of the things seem to be home made :D

messy links i ended up with

here is the another good one for u here

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:18 pm 

I think using indirect flash should give you softer light. That's difficult with built-in flash though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:19 pm 

On that link that i gave you there is actualy guy that designed a home made difuser for the built in flash :D

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 am 

i've come up with something a little ghetto..

i created a sock-like condom out of some tracing paper and slipped it over my built in flash...

it softened out pretty evenly actually.