Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: new portrait
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:10 pm 

the EXIF:

Picture
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shutter Speed: 1/100 second
F Number: F/5.0
Focal Length: 37 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Date Picture Taken: March 29, 2008, 17:14:50 PM

no post processing, overexposed by 1 full stop, white cartboard used as a reflector :)

i hope my portraiture is getting better :)

As usual, any kind of critique is highly appreciated!

thanks, HNV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:01 am 
Good composition. Sadly overexposed.

I'm just wondering what you've done with the cardboard reflector. It seems as though you had it to the left of the frame (the right side of the model) judging from the lighting straight at her face. What I'd have suggested would be to have the reflector on her lap/table in front of her to bounce light upwards to raise the shadows rather than from the front.

Secondly you've caught a bit of what could be her forearm on the bottom left of the frame - did she hold the reflector? I'd be tempted to clone this out (it's too close to crop out).

Finally on the technical side, I think you could have gotten away with ISO 100.

Overall it's a solid portrait that can be recovered by post-processing. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:12 am 
I overexposed it by purpose, to get softer skin :). I used the cartboard to soften the shadows (bright sunny day) but ended up in using it as lightinh :). In this shot, a friend of my was keepin his shadow over the girl and the cartboard was bouncing the sunlight to the subject. ISO = 200 to keep the shutter time as short as possible. Can crop it, but decided to post it as out-of-the-camera! :)

thanks for your reply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:26 am 
No, I understand that you aimed for overexposure to create a softer effect, but here it hasn't quite worked enough. It's ended up more a standard portraiture, and so I've found it to be overexposed.

It's underexposed for the dreamy effect, or overexposed for standard portraiture...

Controlling light is important, and you've understood that principle by improvising a reflector. What I've said is that I don't think the reflector is in the optimal position to remove shadows and create some tonal contrast on her left cheek.

I'll PM you more thoughts.