Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:45 am 
Well, here are a few pictures we took the other day and we are going to print around 100 invitations with one of these pictures on it. The Picture will be a vertical layout and will be sized no larger than 4.5 x 7.5 inches. The picture will be printed on ivory colored Card stock. Velum will be layed over the picture with a small raffia bow tied on the top. On the velum will also have the invitation printed over the picture.

We were thinking of making the picture black and white, sepia tone, or whatever other option we think looks good. I guess to start off:

What picture do you like the best?

What type of adjustments or editing do you suggest?

Some small editing such as my unfortunately timed red mark just below my right eye :oops: I'll have to remove.

Any crops to change composition I am up for, the horizontal pictures will obviously have to be cropped to vertical, so I'm not sure if that will look good.

I have raw images of all these, and I haven't done white balance or any editing to these pictures. My flickr website has a larger version of these pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24145148@N06/sets/72157604106646987/

Thanks for all your opinions, comments, help, whatever, if anyone is extra board I do give permission to edit if you'd like. again, larger sizes are on flickr, and if really necessary I have the originals at home.

thanks again.

And the pictures:
Were taken with 40D with Kit lens 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 am 
I see you've been busy. I've chosen what I feel are the only two options you can run with - the others are composed odd, or have too much going on in the background to be used on an invite. Here are my interpretations, of which I prefer the first - I've done some basic editing on them (I'm very happy to talk you through the changes if need be - PM me).

The white balance on all your images is a tad on the cold side - so I've bumped it up by an additional 500K. You can easily fix this with your RAWs.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 am 
I was thinking something more like this

But I dunno depends what you want because the picture I used and the picture Photoj used sets 2 different moods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 pm 
Marzy,

I had a look at that option as well but for me, as an invite, I'd prefer an image where I can see the whole face rather than a profile, The image you've created captures a more intimate moment and for me, fits more into a photo album. The cropping is exactly how it should be because the original had far too much going on in the background; I like what you've done, but for the above reason I didn't think it suitable for use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:43 pm 
I m just going to jump here, i think the logistics behind a full frontal face shot is to show guest who is actualy getting married, i been to some wedings and didnt really have any idea of who was getting married till i spoted one of theses invties at the weding so i could go to them and congratulate them (of course the bride is always easy to spot but not the groom)

From an exterior point of view (not knowing the couple) i really like the 1st image that Ed posted because they seem very happy and in love and enjoy each others company.

Sorry for barging in on the thread, but i fugre some day i will find myself in this sitatuin as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm 

Photoj's first picture is the one I would go for.
It's the nicest picture to start with, without too much distraction. I'm not too thrilled by the b/w version, the contrast between background and hair is sort of lost which gives the whole image a washed out look. The coloured version looks more happy too plus I like the framing. I also like the slightly tigher crop.

by the way, congrats :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Yeah, I agree with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:22 pm 
I thought a little colour saturation would look nice on the fourth picture. There is nice expressions on your faces and highlights in your eyes. I also cleaned up the mark under your eye and some wrinkles. I took a closer crop to try and emphasize you a little more, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:48 pm 
thanks a lot for the suggestions, and the editing. PhotoJ, as far as compositions, well don't you just hate it when you have to get your picture taken? Doesn't it drive you crazy that your not the one behind the shutter? I was going nuts all day dealing with that.

I do really like the closer crop you made. It really puts us up front. Which is what an invitation is supposed to do. Whether I like it or not. lol. I accually copied that edit and we may use it on the card. Not sure if a larger version would look clearer on only a 5X7"ish sized picture. I don't really have much knowledge nor a really good program to do a lot of this editing. I wish I didn't work so much. But then how would I of got the 40D.

Marzy, everyone seems to really like this picture in my and her family. We may use this picture for a "signing" picture frame thing. But I do agree with the others that it might be a little bit nicer to keep our faces more visible on this paticular part of the wedding. I'm sure we'll have that picture somewhere though.

And Javavibe,
Thanks for the edit, the red mark and the few wrenkels make us look better, even though now it seems like I wore make up. :D

We may see what that one ends up like printed also. Michelle, her, really likes the 2nd picture in my first post. I guess you guys think its a little far away, mabey too many distractions? I like what you've done so far, thanks for the help friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:45 pm 
In that case, here's another quick job:

I hope she likes this one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 pm 
csmonte wrote:
PhotoJ, as far as compositions, well don't you just hate it when you have to get your picture taken? Doesn't it drive you crazy that your not the one behind the shutter? I was going nuts all day dealing with that.

I'm glad to hear that first edit worked; I didn't like the second one I edited, but thought I'd add it for completion.

With regards to being on the other end of the camera, I don't really mind. If I'm with a less experienced photographer, I can teach them in the process of my shot being taken. If they're more experienced, I learn from how they control the light and the subject. It's a circle of learning.