Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:11 pm 
Can anyone tell me how to do HDR photography using GIMP software? This looks like a really interesting technique that I would like experiment with, but I only have GIMP to process my images. I can't afford photoshop yet.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 pm 
check this link: http://www.instructables.com/id/HDR-pho ... -the-GIMP/

its supposed to be how to HDR in Gimp, but that software isnt really capable of the full out blow HDR results as Photomatix or PS is cable of from what i have learnet, i have had a no experince with Gimp so i no nothing about this software but i hope that helps you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm 
Alex, have you used photomatix? Is it worth th $99 premium?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:57 am 
Blueorb wrote:

Just butting in I have the full version of this V.2.5.3 it is worth the ($99/£50) because this is a one off payment all upgrades are totally free for life, I upgraded to V3.0 last night.
The other thing with the bought version over the freebie is that the "Photomatix" watermark is removed, otherwise they are identical.
Yes it is worth it makes HDR so easy, Photomatix can be found at http://www.hdrsoft.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:07 am 
Blueorb wrote:

I have got it, its a great software see some of my HDR here and makes life pretty easy for thoes without AEB as well, i can create HDR images out of jpeg and the reults are very intresting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:23 pm 
Hi Blueorb,

I too use GIMP, I think it's a terrific program and can do most of what PS can do....for FREE!

I found this HDR plugin for GIMP ..http://turtle.as.arizona.edu/jdsmith/exposure_blend.php
I have it installed but haven't used it yet. It's the same principle as Photomatix, you take 3 AEB shots and load it in.

Hope this help you, cannot beat open source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 pm 
You can do some in the GIMP, but http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/ might be a little better suited for the task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:32 pm 
meand40D wrote:
Hi Blueorb,

I too use GIMP, I think it's a terrific program and can do most of what PS can do....for FREE!

WOW! dont be compared PS to GIMP, i have maybe understood 5% of photoshop and been working with for like 5 years total, doing some courses and whot not....i dont think GIMP is that extensive..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 pm 
alex168 wrote:

.i dont think GIMP is that extensive..

alex168...when was the last time you tried GIMP? For those of us that can't afford the $$$$ for photoshop, it's a wonderful alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:53 pm 
I played around with it a couple of times, all i was saying that it cannot be compared to photoshop, its a totaly different software!

But its the best freeware out there for photo editing i must say.

I seen some very talented ppl use GIMP but what they do their takes me half time time in PS. All i said was that PS is much more extensive...