Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Down at the harbour
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:38 am 
Recently visited a very attractive Welsh fishing village called New Quay. The drive along the coast offered spectacular views, and from the village's harbour you could look back up the coastline for miles. But the sky was heavy, visibility was poor and I wasn't having any joy getting any wide landscape shots. So I turned to some of the objects closer to hand and shot some close ups of the fishing and boating tools on the harbour. What do you think? These pictures were spontaneous, but were processed in Lightroom using the Strong Contrast setting, which I think has a good effect.

17mm f3.5 1/125 sec

55mm f3.5 1/40 sec

28mm f2.8 1/400 sec

42mm f5.0 1/250 sec

37mm f3.5 1/125 sec

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:39 am 
These are some very intresting shots, i think i m going to go for number 1 and number two on this one. As you stated you whent to a fishing town those shots are the ones that remind me the most of afishing town that i used to go to all the time when i was younger. Seeing the crab and the nets and just the plaine old mess!! (Was the crab alive?)

You didnt get any shots of the whole harbour itself would be intresting to take alook at those even tho you might not think they where great shots. I think i m going to enjoy those shots if they got those litte older boats, with some colour to them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 am 
Pretty sure that crab was long dead Alex.

I think I have a picture of a couple of boats in the harbour/on the beach which I'll try to post for you tonight. Glad you're interested!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 pm 
Here you go Alex, this is what the rest of the harbour looked like. I'm not keen on the pics as they're overcast, but I suppose they show you what was there, at least

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm 
Typcal Uk stuff, the tieds! i think they are realy funny, how there is a bunch of boats on land, i rember when i saw that for the first time i was asking my parents why are the boats on the land?!

Thanks for sharing those with me :D

Those images can be fixed witha lill post processing, if you dont mind i can take a go at them, see what i come up with...its great practice for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:10 pm 
I think you're onto a winner with the first habour pic! :D A little bit of tweaking and it could look awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:17 pm 
Quote:
Those images can be fixed witha lill post processing, if you dont mind i can take a go at them, see what i come up with...its great practice for me

Please do, I'm always aware that I should be able to do something about skies that are too dark or too light, but the attempts I've made so far just end up looking hugely unrealistic, so a good way to improve this sort of pic is definitely something I'd like to pick up. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:38 pm 
I will do that tonight then! gotta go to a meeting at work now so i dont really have time, but i will play around with them and tell you how i did it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 pm 
badlyoverdrawnboy if i can get the link to ur flickr i can download the iamges and process them, cant seem to find the link to ur flickr :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:36 pm 
That is hands down the meanest looking crab I have ever seen!!
I love the last shot of the ropes, right on!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 pm 
Here it is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22694006@N04/

I couldn't actually work out how to embed it in my signature. Can anyone help me? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:26 pm 
Yes copy this into your sig (quote me and copy that link thing :D)

My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:54 pm 
Quote:
Yes copy this into your sig (quote me and copy that link thing Very Happy)

My Flickr

Am I doing this right, doesn't seem to have worked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 pm 
hmm wierd

i m going to di with quotes instead

["url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/22694006@N04/ ]My Flickr[/url"]

jest remove the " i added to that and give it a try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:22 pm 
I really like the last picture with the chains and ropes. Love the colour and textures on that one! Good work.