Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 am 
Gordon

Thanks for a very informative review. It looks as if the E-510 might be the camera I have been waiting for, having been a fan of my OM2n for 20+ years.

One thing that does concern me, given my aging eyes, is the reference to a smaller viewfinder. I see that the magnifying eyecup ME-1 gives 1.2 times magnification – does this solve the problem or is it worse than that?

I had planned to buy the camera with the “pro” 14-54mm lens as it is faster, offers greater range and I assume higher quality. However, I see there is a 12-60mm due this year and so that seems a more attractive proposition. I’ve also seen reference to it offering mechanical manual focussing. Do you have any idea when it might be available? I suppose I will buy the camera with the bundled standard lens and upgrade later – though there’s a danger then that I might never move up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:09 pm 

Whatever Gordon might say, but: This is clearly a case to go into a shop and have a look, as viewfinders tend to be significantly different and the effect of a magnifier can even make things worse.
So you better be careful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike, yep, you definitely need to look through the viewfinder yourself and compare it to other DSLRs side by side. It's smaller, yes, but a deal-breaker? Maybe, maybe not. Do also remember to fire-up the Live View mode too...

The 12-60mm covers my own personal favourite focal range, so I'm very much looking forward to testing it when it arrives!

As far as buying body alone is concerned, I always go for the kit lens option because you'll rarely get a chance to buy an optic at this price again - so even if you never intend to use it, it gives the camera much better resale value - and you have a backup lens too.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:38 am 
I will certainly try before I buy, but nobody has any in stock around here at the moment and I am being impatient. Just wondered if anyone had the ME-1 eyepiece. tombomba2, why do you think it might make it worse?

Gordon, that's good advice regarding the kit lens and I daresay that's what I'll be doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:35 am 
Hi Gordon just like to say your video review was excellent. I enjoyed your honest views. How does the view finder compare to the old E20P. I have that old camera and what to upgrade. I know both cameras are years apart but as i wear glasses, are there any issues that are worse than my old camera. I wear varifocals if that is of any help. I see your in Queens Town, was there a couple of years ago, what a beautiful place. Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 pm 
Mike H wrote:
I will certainly try before I buy, but nobody has any in stock around here at the moment and I am being impatient. Just wondered if anyone had the ME-1 eyepiece. tombomba2, why do you think it might make it worse?

Gordon, that's good advice regarding the kit lens and I daresay that's what I'll be doing.

Hello Mike, I have he ME-1 on my E-500, but use it rarely.
It is an improvement on checking focus when doing macro's, but the disadvantage is that - at least for me - the information at the right side of the viewfinder is difficult to see. I personally think all the fuzz on bad viewfinders of Olympus camera's is exaggerated, but as always the only way to find out for yourself is go to a camerashop and test them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Aurifex, Hi Arend, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Aurifex, it's hard to compare without both models directly in front of you. I'll say this though - the E510 and E-410 viewfinders are identical and a big improvement over models like the E-330 and Pannie L1.

As Arend says, the Olympus viewfinders aren't bad, but they are smaller than rival models, especially compared to the viewfinders of models like the D80.

If it's something you think might bother you, you really have to look through one yourself - it's a very personal thing...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm 

Mike, as Arend already confirmed: By enlarging the view you might end up limiting the "completeness" or width of your view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:33 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Aurifex, Hi Arend, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

Aurifex, it's hard to compare without both models directly in front of you. I'll say this though - the E510 and E-410 viewfinders are identical and a big improvement over models like the E-330 and Pannie L1.

As Arend says, the Olympus viewfinders aren't bad, but they are smaller than rival models, especially compared to the viewfinders of models like the D80.

If it's something you think might bother you, you really have to look through one yourself - it's a very personal thing...

Gordon

Hi Gordon thanks for your views, cheers.