Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 am 
Hello all.

I was down at "OMSI" today ( Oregon Museum of Science) a really cool place.

They have this new exhibit call "Mother Hood from day 1: The gift of life." and what it is is 35+ babies that have all died before birth of natural causes.
they have them from day 1 (video-looks cool) then the babies from week 1 up to 36 weeks. Well I was able to get about 7 photos starting about day 28 up to "still birth" and thought I would share. . .Then I thought about it, and thought that some may not want to see them. So, I thought I would give a small run down of the photos and get everyone's thought about posting them.

The babies have all died before birth from accidents or natural causes.
The are set against a black background and are set as how they should be in the mothers tummy.

The exhibit was nice and there were kids as young as 4 looking at them and did not find it scary or gross. The most common question asked by the kids (4 thru 8 ) was " Is that what I looked like when I was in your tummy?" the answer was "Yes" then the kids (mostly young girls) would say "cool" the boy's would say "GROSSSSS".

All in all I would like to respect what others want to see and what they don't.

I will not post them here or on flickr till I know it is ok.

Please comment. . . .

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 am 
Well my guess is that it can be a touchy area, but if there were kids checking theses things out with thier parents i dont see a reason for us to be worried. But ypu placed a litte disclaimer which is nice, that way people are aware of what they will be seeing.

Might be a touchy area for those who have lost a sun before its birth...

i really dont knw where i stand on this one...not really something i go around thinking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am 
I have always had an intereast in science and medicen and I for one found it to be informative to a point.

It is a odd feeling to see that at 2 week of age you are only the size of a grain of rice. at 6 weeks a bean. 9/10 weeks you get feet and hands.

So to see something like this is neat. The nice thing about this place is that they made it fun. there was a place where you could feel the baby kick. they were teaching the younger kids (about 4-9) how to hold and feed and change the baby. It was alot of fun. This place is a kids museum where they can have fun and learn and inspire young minds.

Like you said "Might be a touchy area for those who have lost a son before its birth..." you are right it can be. About six years ago my mother lost one about 12 week in, and now she only has half of what she should (she had to have parts removed). The Dr's told her that she may never have kids again. One year later Aaron was born and he is a healthy happy 5 year old now. He is #5 of 5.
It just goes to show that even when the odds are agenst you- -
you can still win.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 am 
Good idea to make sure. I don't see why the images can't be uploaded to Flickr and a link(not embedded images) provided. If you want to see it, you follow the link and if you don't, well... don't click it. I think images on Flickr can be set so that you must give confirmation before you can view? I'm not sure but I remember coming across something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 am 
Well i understand you medical scientific point of view, i whent to an anatomy lession once with my older brother and had the chance ot se a live corps, and its was a very odd experience, like nothing i had experienced before

but what grah stated is a good idea...

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:32 am 

Hi Nick12984,

Thank you very much indeed for your sensitivity in raising the question. I'm very much with Graham on this one. It's a perfectly respectable field of photography but we need to consider how emotionally distressing such subject matter could be. Maybe a forum member (or lurker) has just suffered a similar misfortune and happens on such images while browsing. Absolutely awful to contemplate. :(

Could I request that you do not post actual images here but by all means include a link to your Flickr account with a suitable disclaimer prominent near the link so that such images aren't viewed accidentally. Would that be OK with you?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:14 am 
I was down at "OMSI" today ( Oregon Museum of Science) a really cool place.

They have this new exhibit call "Mother Hood from day 1: The gift of life." and what it is is 35+ babies that have all died before birth of natural causes.

OK,here is a new flickr link http://flickr.com/photos/25049179@N02/

is it up to you if you want to look. Thanks

Nick

EDIT: I've added some text from Nick's original post in this thread to make sure that members understand what that link is taking them to. I haven't had the heart to follow it so I can't comment further. Bob Andersson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:09 am 
Thats not that bad really (if you have seen it before), what i though it was live photos of them when the accident happen. This actualy reminds me of the time i whent to visit the anotomy museum at my brothers univeristy, they had babies like those as well but also siameses ones amongs alot of other things.....Really good pictures of them tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm 
There in nothing wrong with the way the babies look.
It is a bit sad to see, but if a 4+ year old can learn something from it, then i guess it is worth showing.
They are REAL and are in cube containers fill will fluid.

Nick