Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jazzman and guilt.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 am 
I'm undecided whether I should shop out the microphone? I think it might clean up the photo a little if I can do a half decent job of that. Any thoughts?

And one of a girl who was out with me over the weekend in Seattle, munching on the remains of a chocolate covered apple.

Any tips on how they could have been improved? I'm quite pleased with the saxophonist and kind of pleased with the girl but always room for improvement. I think if I'd used my 50mm f1.8, I could have got it a fair bit sharper but I'm quite pleased with the composition at least.

Last edited by Welly on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 am 
Hey Welly,

nice pics!

A few thoughts:

1) Jazz guy might be a little more "gritty" and "engaging" if you convert to B&W and been up the blue channel a bit - but play around. The loght and color is just a wee bit plain.

2) LOL..love the pic of the girl munching on the apple. Now, I can appreciate it for what it is - not planned at all, which makes it spontaneous and more "real". I think it's fun and not modeled - seeing her eyes widen in surprise and perhaps burgeoning chagrin?...hehe.

She may feel that a better positioning of the apple and her mouth might've made the image a bit more flattering of her and not made her look like a bit of a glutton..lol.

The crop - where her hair is cut off - could perhaps either be lowered or lifted - the slice you've cut off is just a little bit too thin in my opinion.

From a pure aesthetical point of view, that big black hair - probably from her coat - sticking to her nail and reaching across her upper lip, probably shouldn't be there.

However, the pics a great as they are, since they are "real" and they are candid and particularly in the case of the young lady, it' makes it more memorable. So it all depends on the objective and what you are aiming for - so take my comments in that spirit.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:06 am 
Thanks for the comments :) Appreciated! I might try out your suggestions on the crop and the jazz guy. The black hair I think is actually chocolate from the apple :) I could probably do something with that in photoshop to remove it though!

Edit: Have updated the girl with a bit more of a crop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:19 am 
Hhahaha, funny looking shots! I would defently remove the mic from the sax photo just because its looks like it doesnt belong there. And where is that chocoalte in the girls hair? I really like teh shot and that the typical face i have when some one sneaks up on me and tries to snap a shot

natural shots, great one! they did put a smile on my face, thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

I agree, ditch the mike, it is distracting, and the girl I like alot...love her eyes, wide, and beautiful...well captured, a little nuance of the day...chocolate? Ahhhhhh....a little slice of life here, and it is a fun photo..

patti