Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Thomas, I agree with Zorro on this one - it's not just data failure that's the worry, it's the possibility of having your camera nicked (or lost) with the one card in it which contains ALL of your images. I personally feel quite reassured when I can take the card out the camera and put it somewhere more secure...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:44 pm 

That's a scenario I hadn't contemplated before but it's a valid point. It would be relatively easy to replace an (insured) camera whereas the photos are gone for good. Bummer!

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:16 am 
Maybe 2x4gb cards as a compromise? I think for me though, 2x2gb cards will be enough because we always take a laptop with us anyway for work so as soon as I get close to full I can transfer the images to the laptop back at the hotel or where ever we're staying.

On the subject of memory cards, do you all use card readers to transfer images to a computer or do you just plug in your camera direct via USB? I've never used a card reader before, I've always transferred direct via USB, but then I read somewhere that it can be dangerous because if your camera is low on power and it suddenly cuts out halfway through then you could lose your pics! If I add a card reader to my shopping list is there anything I should look for in particular with regards to card readers? Is the transfer speed of card readers dependant on the speed of the card or are there fast card readers and slow card readers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:34 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark, I personally use a card reader, but there's nothing wrong in a direct connection. Some cameras have slower interfaces though, so a card reader may be quicker.

I don't think you'd corrupt a card if the camera ran out of power mid-transfer though...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:21 am 
Could you guys recrommend some good fast cards for my D80?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:41 am 
Sandisk Extreme III 2 gb

Xti uses CF card but there's extreme iii card in all format. Lightning fast !

Extreme iii = 20mb/sec

Extreme IV = 40 mb/sec

but unless you have a 16-20 mp camera or shooting 10 fps with the mark iii i would not buy an extreme iv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:23 am 
Sweet, sounds good :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:22 pm 
I always use a Card Reader to transfer images to the computer, I use a Belkin FSU249 it says on the bottom of it that it is a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 All-in-1 Media Reader & Writer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:39 pm 

Have a cheap multi-card-reader from Transcend, but almost always use the direct link from my cam. Watch-out though that your card-reader also takes the new high-capacity version cards like SD-HC! :idea:

As card manufacturers I can personally recommend Transcend, Sandisk, Sony. Had some probs with ExtreMemory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:57 pm 
Where is was looking at the price of the Sandisk Extreme III 2 gb, said at one shop that it came with a free memory card reader, which sounds sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:38 pm 

Nothing is for free, antman!
You could get a 2GB card without a cardreader elsewhere cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 pm 
Yeah I found some cheaper without reader :)

I asked what speed the 2GB card I get with the Kit I want to buy and he said 150x

Isnt the Extreme III 144X?

So I should just be fine with the kit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:29 am 

Oh well: Between 133x and 150x you'll never be able to see a difference, luckily :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:58 pm 
To bring this thread to an end, the day has finally arrived and tomorrow I go to Hong Kong to get my whole D80 kit...whoohoo!!!

After a month or so of scouring reviews and going backwards and forwards between what camera to get I finally ended up settling on the D80 with the much famed 18-200mm VR lens and stuck to it and I know it's the right decision. Sure, there'll be some crap pictures to begin with, but I know the camera can deliver, it's just down to me to get used to it and master it. It's sure gonna be a lot of fun practicing, although frustrating too but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and tips and when I come back I'll let you know how I got on with it and you can be the judges when you see the pics. There's going to be some challenging situations for me as a beginner with going dolphin watching and shooting the HK skyline at night during the laser light display so it should be interesting!

Wish me luck :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Good luck Mark! (I hope it's all in stock!)

Gordon